[Dehai-WN] VOA: Unrest in Southern Somali Town Suspends Flow of Aid

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 01:21:55 +0200

Unrest in Southern Somali Town Suspends Flow of Aid

Lisa Schlein | Geneva

October 04, 2011

The U.N. refugee agency says relief agencies have temporarily suspended aid
in the town of Dhobley, on the Somali-Kenyan border because of fierce
clashes between armed groups. The agency warns the renewed fighting is
worsening an already terrible humanitarian situation.

Dhobley is the main transit point for Somalis heading to the Dadaab refugee
camps in Kenya. The U.N. refugee agency (UNHCR) reports an estimated 1,000
new Somali refugees fleeing conflict and starvation continue to arrive in
Dadaab camps every day.

UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards says the agency fears for the safety of
displaced Somalis who are likely to get caught up in fighting while fleeing
through this part of the country. He says aid agencies working in Dhobley
and in the Kenyan border town of Liboi are also at risk.

"We are not able to continue our work right there," Edwards said. "We have
withdrawn our staff for the moment. However, I think we have to watch and
see how that situation unfolds over the coming days. But, clearly, we have
been saying all along that you need humanitarian assistance inside Somali if
we are going to begin to address this problem. It is crucial this fighting
stop, that we be allowed to and others, our partners, be allowed to resume
this kind of work as soon as we can."

The UNHCR reports more than 300,000 Somalis have left Somalia this year to
escape relentless fighting, human rights abuses, drought and famine.
Two-thirds of those 300,000 have fled in the past four months alone.

Drought and famine have killed thousands of people in Somalia this year.
Others have perished while trying to reach the Daadab camps, weakened by
hunger, disease, and the grueling journey on foot.

Before this latest round of violence in and around Dhobley, Edwards says
several aid agencies were distributing emergency assistance to the
vulnerable population.

"Meanwhile, there are dozens of new Somali arrivals at the Kenyan border
town of Liboi, where they are awaiting transport to Dadaab," added Edwards.
"Due to heightened tensions and insecurity in the border area humanitarian
agencies have not been traveling to Liboi for several days now. We hope the
convoys transporting weak and exhausted refugees from the border to Dadaab,
some 80 kilometers away, will resume as soon as possible."

The U.N. refugee agency says it has received unconfirmed reports of deaths
and scores of injured people among those caught in the Dhobley fighting. It
says the escalating violence has caused a significant number of people to
flee from Dhobley to other towns, and possibly into Kenya.

Related Articles

*
<http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/USAID-Gives-Additional-Funding-F
or-Ethiopia-Drought-Relief--131052328.html> A woman walks with her children
to a transit center in the Dolo Ado refugee camp in southern Ethiopia, July
19, 2011.

<http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/USAID-Gives-Additional-Funding-F
or-Ethiopia-Drought-Relief--131052328.html> USAID Gives Additional Funding
For Ethiopia Drought Relief
http://media.voanews.com/designimages/icon-media-comment-gray.gif

Of the estimated 12.4 million people suffering from malnutrition in East
Africa, the largest number are in Ethiopia

*
<http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Car-Bomb-Targets-Government-Buil
ding-in-Somali-Capital--131038228.html> Deadly Bombing in Mogadishu Marks
Return of Al-Shabab