[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Arab monitors reach Homs, Syrian tanks seen leaving

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:21:19 +0100

Arab monitors reach Homs, Syrian tanks seen leaving

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:03am GMT

* Arab League monitors arrive in Syria's deadliest city

* Tanks seen quitting battered centre of anti-Assad protests

* At least 34 people killed in Homs on Monday

* Monitors mark first international intervention in crisis (Adds monitors
arrive in Homs, fresh quote on situation)

By Mariam Karouny and Erika Solomon

BEIRUT, Dec 27 (Reuters) - Arab League peace monitors arrived in the Syrian
city of Homs on Tuesday for a first look after tanks were seen leaving the
hotbed of anti-government unrest where hundreds have been killed during nine
months of military crackdowns on protesters.

The team of monitors were expected to see for themselves whether President
Bashar al-Assad is keeping a promise to cease military action in Syria's
cities to crush demonstrations that began in March. At least 5,000 people
have been killed in the spreading bloodshed by a U.N. count.

The observers began their visit by meeting the governor of Homs, Syria's
Dunia television channel said. According to opposition activists at least 34
people were killed in the city on Monday as tanks fired at targets among
apartment blocks.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights cited reports from
opposition activists in Homs saying at least 11 tanks had left a district
they attacked on Monday, and that other tanks were being hidden.

Opponents of Assad say districts of Syria's third biggest city have been
hammered by government troops and tanks in recent days, with the Baba Amr
neighbourhood taking a pounding from tank fire, mortars and heavy
machineguns.

"My house is on the eastern entrance of Baba Amr. I saw at least six tanks
leave the neighbourhood at around 8 in the morning (0600 GMT)," Homs
activist Mohamed Saleh told Reuters by telephone. "I do not know if more
remain in the area."

Amateur video recorded by activists on Monday showed tanks prowling around
Baba Amr, firing at unseen targets. Video showed gruesome pictures of
mangled bodies in the wreckage of building that bore the signs of shelling.

"It's been completely quiet the whole morning, so we're going to use the
time and hold a protest," said construction worker Tamir, from the Khalidiya
district in Homs, one of the four areas where fighting has been heavy in
past weeks.

"I haven't heard or seen anything that suggests tanks are leaving, I don't
believe it. Earlier today I was on my roof where we can see six of the tanks
in the area, three are in one roundabout, three are in another. They are
still there," he said, speaking by telephone as the monitors arrived.

Assad's opponents fear that the monitors - who arrived in the country on
Monday after weeks of negotiations with Arab states - will be used as a
cloak of respectability for a government that will hide the extent of
violence.

The say tanks have been withdrawn before from restive cities such as Deraa
and Hama, only to return later.

The monitoring mission launch marks the first international intervention on
the ground in Syria since the start of the popular revolt inspired by Arab
pro-democracy uprisings that have toppled several dictators this year.

The Arab mission, led by Sudanese General Mustafa Dabi, is starting with 50
monitors who arrived in Damascus on Monday and will be split into five teams
of ten. About 100 more monitors are to follow soon.

The teams will use government transport, according to Dabi. But that
arrangement likely to fuel charges by the anti-Assad opposition that the
monitoring mission will be impeded and hoodwinked from the outset.

Arab League delegates insist the mission will nevertheless maintain the
"element of surprise" and be able to go wherever it chooses with no notice.

The monitors are meant to determine whether the government is abiding by a
peace plan that requires it to withdraw troops from cities, free prisoners
and open dialogue with its opponents. Assad has so far shown no sign
implementing the deal.

At least 34 people were killed in Homs on Monday as tanks fired into
districts where opposition has been strongest to Assad's rule, the
Observatory said. Their names were recorded.

Amateur video posted by activists on the Internet showed tanks in action in
Baba Amr, with bodies lying in pools of blood on a narrow street. Power
lines had collapsed and cars were burnt and blasted, as if shelled by tank
or mortar rounds.

"What's happening is a slaughter," said Fadi, a resident living nearby.

Destruction inflicted by heavy weapons was evident. The video images were
impossible to verify -- because Syria has barred most foreign media from the
country -- but hard to fake.

Assad says he is fighting Islamist terrorism directed from abroad and that
some 2,000 people have been killed, mainly soldiers and police.

AVERTING CIVIL WAR

An armed insurgency is eclipsing civilian protest in Syria. Many fear a
slide to sectarian war between the Sunni Muslim majority, the driving force
of the protest movement, and minorities that have mostly stayed loyal to the
government, particularly the Alawite sect to which Assad belongs.

Analysts say the Arab League is anxious to avoid civil war. Western powers
have shown no desire to intervene militarily in a volatile neighbourhood of
Middle East conflict, and the United Nations Security Council is split.

Assad's opponents appear divided on aims and tactics. He retains strong
support in important areas -- including Damascus and the second city Aleppo
-- of the country, and maintains an anti-Israel alliance with Iran.

Fighting in Homs has intensified since a double suicide bombing in Damascus
on Friday that killed 44 people.

At least ten army defectors were killed in fighting with security forces in
the suburb of Douma outside Damascus, according to the British-based Syrian
Observatory for Human Rights. The group estimated the death toll may be
higher, in the dozens, with casualties at a similar rate among security
forces.

Homs resident Fadi told Reuters via Skype that residents and rebel fighters
were trapped by trenches the army had dug around the Baba Amr neighbourhood
in recent weeks.

"They are benefiting from trenches. Neither the people nor the gunmen or
army defectors are able to flee. The army has been descending on the area
for the past two days."

Others said the army was also taking a hit.

"The violence is definitely two-sided," said a Homs resident who gave his
name only as Mohammed to protect his safety. "I've been seeing ambulances
filled with wounded soldiers passing by my window in the past days. They're
getting shot somehow."

Parts of Homs are defended by the Free Syrian Army, made up of defectors
from the regular armed forces, who say they have tried to protect civilians.

(Writing by Douglas Hamilton; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

C Thomson Reuters 2011 All rights reserved