[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Kenya says kills 50 Shabaab fighters in airstrikes

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 00:42:50 +0100

Kenya says kills 50 Shabaab fighters in airstrikes

Fri Jan 6, 2012 4:39pm GMT

* Kenyan jets bomb Shabaab camp, kill 50 rebels

* Most of Gedo region taken from rebel control

* AU says rebels are being systematically destroyed (Recasts with
airstrikes)

By Duncan Miriri and Sahra Abdi

NAIROBI, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Kenyan jets bombed an al Shabaab camp in southern
Somalia on Friday killing 50 fighters of the rebel group and injuring 60
others, its military spokesman said.

Emmanuel Chirchir told Reuters the fighters of the al Qaeda-linked al
Shabaab group at the camp situated south of Garbahare had been planning to
attack Kenyan and Somali troops in two nearby towns captured by Kenyan
forces this week.

"This is one of the biggest losses to the al Shabaab. The concentration of
fighters was believed to be preparing to attack our troops in Fafadun and
Elade," Chirchir said.

Kenya sent troops into neighbouring Somalia last October after a string of
kidnappings and cross-border attacks it blamed on the militants and which
threatened Kenya's tourism industry.

The militants pose one of the biggest threats to stability in east Africa,
encouraging the African Union, which has peacekeeping forces in the Somali
capital Mogadishu, to extend the peacekeeping mandate and to request the
United Nations bolster the force's size to close to 18,000.

The Kenyan military said it took over the town of Fafadun in a battle which
killed three militants as well as Elade, both of which are in the
southwestern Gedo region.

Al Shabaab confirmed the air raid through a senior official who did not wish
to be named. It said it had ambushed Kenyan and Somali government troops who
were on their way to Elade, killing 10, mainly Somalis.

After initial advances, Kenya's troops, who are fighting alongside Somali
government forces, have been largely bogged down due to heavy rains.

It has instead relied on air strikes in areas where al Shabaab has a
presence in the south of the country, but the end of the rainy season has
seen a dramatic escalation in the number of villages taken over by Kenyan,
Somali and Ethiopian forces.

Elade resident Abdiwahab Ali said Kenyan and Somali troops had moved heavy
armoured vehicles into the town.

"Al Shabaab left for Baardhere after three days of fighting outside Elade.
The city is now calm but people have not opened business yet," he said.
Baardhere is the last major stronghold for al Shabaab in Gedo.

Chirchir had told Reuters earlier that the capture of Baardhere will ensure
than the "entire Gedo region will be under the control of friendly forces".

REBELS VOW FIERCE ATTACKS

Al Shabaab denied Kenya could capture all of Gedo.

"Should Kenya keep on advancing towards us, we swear we shall enter Kenya,"
Shabaab spokesman Abdiasis Abu Musab said.

"Let them boast of going deeper into Somalia. They will see al Shabaab
behind them and fierce fighting and attacks in Kenyan towns," Abu Musab told
Reuters on Friday.

Last week, Ethiopian forces captured Baladwayne in the central Hiiran
region, opening a new front against al Shabaab, which has been waging an
insurgency against Somalia's Western-backed government since 2007.

AU Peace and Security Council head Ramtane Lamamra said as a military force,
al Shabaab was being "systematically and steadily destroyed".

"They have been defeated in Mogadishu, they are being defeated in the Gedo
and Juba regions and the same happened in Baladwayne," he told reporters in
the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa late on Thursday.

So far, Burundi and Uganda make up the current AMISOM force, Djibouti is
sending a contingent and Kenyan soldiers intend to join as well. That would
mean the peacekeepers can extend their capabilities beyond the capital, most
of which is under the control of African and Somali government troops.

"The overall strategy is to reduce al Shabaab's effectiveness to wage any
meaningful fight," Chirchir said.

"In doing so we are using intelligence on all their locations, intentions
and immediate operations to hit them while in that planning phase so we
ensure they can't carry out any attack," he said.

Since Kenyan forces moved into Somalia, at least 30 people, including
several policemen have been killed in attacks in the northeastern Kenyan
districts of Wajir, Mandera and Garissa, attacks that Kenya has blamed on
the militants.

On Thursday, Kenyan police seized explosive equipment in the Dadaab refugee
camp near the Somali border, calling it a major breakthrough in their
investigation into the attacks. (Additional reporting by Feisal Omar in
Mogadishu and Aaron Maasho in Addis Ababa; Writing by Yara Bayoumy)

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved