[Dehai-WN] HOA.africom.mil: U.S., Djiboutian Military Officials Sign Service Agreement

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:37:10 +0100

U.S., Djiboutian Military Officials Sign Service Agreement

DJIBOUTI , Djibouti,

Feb 6, 2012 - The Djiboutian and U.S. militaries signed an extended
agreement, February 1, 2012 in Djibouti, Djibouti, that allows both nations
to continue working together in support of lasting stability for the Horn of
Africa.

The agreement is an extension of the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing
Agreement. This pact is a mutual accord between the Djiboutian Ministry of
Defense and U.S.

Department of Defense and allows both nations to request a variety of
services from one another.

"A cross-service agreement with Djibouti provides another avenue to share
capabilities during our mutual engagements," said Rear Admiral Michael
Franken, Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa commander. "It will
improve the manner in which the U.S. can obtain Djibouti's assistance in
operations as well as providing my staff options to support Djibouti in
security matters."

Both Djibouti and the U.S. benefit from this agreement, said Terrence
Bender, U.S. Africa Command Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement
manager.
"What (the nations) can do is exchange logistics, support, supplies and
services from each other," he said.

There can be a cash exchange upon request between the militaries, said
Bender. There can also be an equal value exchange; as long as an equal value
can be reached, the trade can happen. For example, one military may decide
to provide the use of a building for the use of the other military's
vehicles.

Both sides are involved in making the agreement work.

"We can sit down, negotiate an exchange where we can receive something of
equal value for the services provided .which helps us to increase
capabilities through exchanges. I think (this agreement) is beneficial for
both nations," said Bender. "It builds our partnerships. That's the part I
enjoy."

In light of recent budget constraints, the arrangement can ease the burden
on tax payers. The ability to explain the benefits to Djiboutian and
American leadership will increase the visibility of the program, and once
utilized, can save both nations money, said Bender.

This agreement will be a positive influence on the training and mutual aid
between the U.S. and Djiboutian militaries, said U.S. Air Force Major
General Barbara Faulkenberry, U.S. Africa Command Logistics director.

"I am really honored to conclude this very important acquisition agreement
that allows military to military collaboration," said Faulkenberry. "This is
an important day for us."