[Dehai-WN] Monitor.co.ug: Global Fund cuts Aids cash to Uganda

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:47:56 +0100

Global Fund cuts Aids cash to Uganda

http://www.monitor.co.ug/image/view/-/688874/data/43/-/345rd6z/-/ico_plus.pn
g By Brian Senoga Kimuli ( <javascript:void(0);> email the author)

Posted Sunday, February 12 2012 at 14:11

Kampala

The Global Fund to fight HIV, TB and Malaria has given Uganda the least
amount of funding compare to other East African member states because of
corruption and earlier mismanagement of the fund.

According to Prof. Vinand Nantulya, the chairman Uganda Aids Commission,
Ethiopia got $1.2 billion, of the fund to fight HIV, TB and malaria,
Tanzania received $1 billion, Kenya $800 million, Rwanda $600 million and
Uganda only $300 million.

"We have suffered enough and lost a lot. $300 million dollars is nothing.
The other countries got more because they are using the money well and with
proper accountability and results to show that money is being used properly.
But now see what mismanagement has cost Uganda," said Prof. Nantulya, a
former senior health adviser and chief adviser to the executive director of
the Global Fund, Geneva for more than three years.

At the launch of the Round Ten malaria and TB grant last week in Kampala,
Prof. Nantulya who is also the chairman of the country coordinating
mechanism (CCM), a Global Fund oversight committee, added that Uganda also
falls victim of slow absorption of some rounds due to delayed procurements
and low responsiveness to Global Fund requirements sighting an example of
the first phase of Round Six of the TB grant. "The application for Round
Nine was unsuccessful and we did not apply for Round Eight and now the Round
Eleven has been cancelled," he said.

However, he was quick to add that the signing of the Round Ten malaria and
TB grant worth $78.5 million is a sure sign that Uganda has opened a new
page on which the Global Fund and the public must have confidence that
things are going to change for the better.

editorial_at_ug.nationmedia.com