[Dehai-WN] Dvidshub.net: Hogg engages leaders in Djibouti, Ethiopia

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 16:15:44 +0200

Hogg engages leaders in Djibouti, Ethiopia

 <http://www.dvidshub.net/unit/USARAF> U.S. Army Africa

Story by <http://www.dvidshub.net/portfolio/1100484> Richard Bartell
<http://www.dvidshub.net/rss/personnel/1100484> Small RSS Icon
<http://www.dvidshub.net/alerts/personnel/1100484> Alerts Icon Follow This
Journalist

05.08.2012 08:43

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - During a whirlwind trip to East Africa, Maj. Gen.
David R. Hogg, commander, U.S. Army Africa, and a small group of advisers
visited U.S. Army troops at Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa in
Djibouti and attended meetings with African Union mission leaders in Addis
Ababa, Ethiopia, April 24-27.

Initially, Hogg traveled to Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, where he, along with
USARAF Command Sgt. Maj. Hu Rhodes, USARAF’s Political Adviser Alan Latimer
and Security Cooperation Desk Officer Ron Stafford took part in a series of
briefings with Air Force Brig. Gen. Eugene Haase, deputy commander of
Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa. Following the CJTF-HOA briefings,
Hogg met with Texas Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve troops
currently working in and around Camp Lemonnier.

Hogg explained the significance and the purpose of the trip, known as a
senior leader engagement.

“Senior leader engagements are important tools to establish relationships
and begin partnerships with our African Land Force partners,” Hogg said.
“It’s critical for us to develop these relationships to open doors for
further military-to-military training and solid partnerships for future
operations as they occur.”

Hogg said the trip to HOA and Ethiopia was unlike other SLEs he has taken.

“This trip was unique in that we traveled to Djibouti to meet with Army
personnel. It falls under our Title 10 missions, [meaning we have
administrative, legal, finance and logistical oversight]. We met with our
soldiers to see how they were doing and discuss any needs we can support at
the USARAF level. Though these Army units fall under Adm. [Michael] Franklin
at CTJF-HOA, our role is to make sure that the Army supports him,” Hogg
said.

Hogg stopped-by to meet with members of the U.S. Army 490th Civil Affairs
Battalion who provided more than 5,000 backpacks for school children at 16
schools in the Ali Sabieh area. Additionally, Hogg accompanied the civil
affairs personnel to a local library to deliver books and other reading
material.

U.S. Army civil affairs soldiers have created a relationship with the local
library staff, frequently arranging donations of English reading and study
materials and creating an English language discussion group.

“I’m impressed by the accomplishments of the civil affairs team. They are
doing some great things in Ali Sabieh,” Hogg said.

The next stop on the SLE was Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

For Hogg, it was his first official engagement in the Ethiopian capital.

In Addis Ababa, Hogg and his team met with U.S. Defense Attaché officials as
well as European and African Union representatives.

“It was an opportunity to get to know the African Union and meet with
Ugandan Brig. Gen. Jack Bakasumba, the Eastern Africa Standby Brigade
commander,” Hogg said. The EASB is made up of personnel from Kenya,
Ethiopia, Uganda, Sudan, Rwanda, Mauritius, Madagascar, Eritrea, Djibouti,
Seychelles, Somalia and Tanzania, “so we’re looking at ways we can work with
them in the future through the CTJF-HOA."

“In the near future, there may be partnership events with the EASB as
observers for a USARAF exercise and perhaps a command post exercise, it’s
all very positive progress,” Hogg said.

Read more:
<http://www.dvidshub.net/news/88080/hogg-engages-leaders-djibouti-ethiopia#.
T6kpmVLjvlU#ixzz1uHspOhvy>