[DEHAI] RE: [dehai-news] Press Release - Monitoring Group Report to the Security Council

From: Haile Abraham <haileab99_at_msn.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:03:32 -0500

Thanks Yared for forwarding the Press Release of the Embassy of Eritrea in Kenya regarding the UNSMG recent report, which contradicted Kenya's earlier accusation of Eritrea supplying "three planeload" of arms to Al Shebab. So far I am yet to see the actual SMG's December 2001 monthly 2011 but from the Press Release quote, the report claims that "The Monitoring Group also pursued its investigation into alleged arms deliveries by air to the Al-Shabaab controlled airflelds in southern Somalia in late October and early November 2011. The SEMG’s preliminary assessment is that these reports were incorrect and that the alleged deliveries to Baidoa probably did not take place...." So what does this mean? And how significant is this new finding as far as exonerating Eritrea from all the other false allegations?

In some sense, and considering SMG's past track record, many Eritreans may take this latest SMG report with a grain of salt. On one hand, the fact that the SMG has investigated the Kenyan allegation of the so-called "three planeload" arms shipment to Al-Shebab by Eritrea and then assessed it to be a fabricate lies, can be considered as a good development in favor of Eritrea, which denied the allegations from day-one and openly challenged Kenyan authorities to prove it. On the other hand, for many years, many Eritreans have grown extremely suspicious of the SMG's integrity and work ethics that some even deemed it to be an instrument of those who concocted and enforced the imposition of the ILLEGAL and UNJUST sanctions on Eritrea. So whether this latest development is simply a flash of a face-saving gimmick or the beginning of a genuine and honest investigation to ALL the other allegations heaped against Eritrea, it is yet to be seen.

On a lighter note, may be Eritrea's proactive diplomacy is paying its dividence!!!

Haile A.