[DEHAI] The Eritrean Askari Post Cards

From: <hbokure_at_aol.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:25:24 -0500 (EST)

Dear friends,

You see the colonial stamps show the Eritrean animals and lowland nomads only. While some post cards show some ethnic and racial groups of Eritrea, the bulk of them depict the militarization of Eritrean society by way of Askarisimo. According to Massimo Rava the hidden motif was to reduce the growing number of Eritrean population as a result of relative peace that was prevalent during Italian rule. It is to be recalled that inter-clan feud, banditry and recurrent attack by neighboring overlords were the chief causes of reducing the population of sedentary Eritreans. In short, Italy was acting as a protectrate in feudal Abyssinia were war for all its destructive nature was a way of life. Such mentality is one of the chief causes of unrest in our region. The only solution is to develop a new perspective in the light of our fast changing world. A medival frame of mind shaped by mysticism or out-moded pattern of thinking is not compatible in our information age.

 http://www.ilcornodafrica.it/fs-cart2.htm

Haile