[DEHAI] The Turtle Symbolizes Eritrea Nowadays

From: Bereket Kidane <welela83_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 08:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

There is not an Eritrean alive that doesn't know that the camel is Eritrea's national symbol.  The camel symbolizes the Eritrean spirit perfectly and has played an outsized role as the "ship of the desert" during Eritrea's struggle for independence.  While it travels long distances in the dry hot desert without drinking any water, it symbolizes patience and fortitude, suffering but enduring.  Though calm and patient, a camel can destroy you with its sharp teeth and hoofs when provoked. So you can see why the camel was chosen as the national symbol.  It makes perfect sense.

Lately, however, as I listen to PIA give interviews and try to explain Weyane's desperate behavior and all the disinformation that is being concocted against Eritrea in order to distract it from its development efforts, I keep thinking the turtle symbolizes the Eritrean State more than any other animal these days, for the turtle is focused, only moves forward and knows how to defend itself.

It is that focus, forward movement and steadfastness that Weyane and its sponsors are trying to attack and distract.

Try as they might though, the turtle will stay focused and keep moving forward because it is the only way it knows how.  And the camel will keep walking while the dogs bark.