Re: [DEHAI] Iranian Elections: The "Stolen Elections" Hoax (By James Petras)

From: Berhan Sium (eretrawi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 13:53:26 EDT

Selam Zeyhilel,

I agree that Prof James Petras's sharp, clear and critical analysis on the situation in Iran is one of the best that helps us understand what's happening there beyond the substandard garbage and propaganda that is being spewed out by Western (Anglo-American) media outlets such as CNN and BBC. What these recent events in Iran and their coverage by Western media has clearly demonstrated to me is how much they stoop to gutter-level propaganda and lose all decorum of objectivity, and how much low regard and contempt they have for the ignorance of their own people.

I might also add that in addition to the excellent analysis provided by James Petras, the insightful dissection of the Iranian power politics as expounded by Asia Times commentator, the former Indian ambassador and diplomat par excellence, Mr. M K Bhadrakumar, is a good read. I especially found the article titled "Rafsanjani's gambit backfires" -- which I just forwarded to Dehai -- very informative and an eye-opener. It is more illuminating to see this election as a last-ditch effort by the wily Ayotollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanajani to get control of the presidency and become a power to be reckoned with. Rather than seeing it only as contest between the candidates Ahmedinejad and Mousavi, it makes more sense to look at the larger picture of power politics in the real power center in Iran, the council of the clerics, and this one was a fight between the Supreme Guide Ayottolah Khamenei and one of the most richest (if not the richest) man in Iran and a
 Machiavellian politician and cleric, Hashemi Rafsanjani. It's not for nothing that the telling nicknames of Rafsanjani in Iran are "Akbar Shah" (for his immense wealth and corruption) and "The Shark" for his machiavellian politics and ruthlessness.

It seems that in the latest Iranian presidential elections the Shark has finally met his match in the Khamenei-Ahemedinejad team, and may have gone down in defeat for good. But who knows how the intricate power games among the Ayatollahs in Qom might eventually play out. Either way, IMO, the CIA-NED destabilizers in Washington and Langley are clueless when it comes to Iranian politics. We can confidently predict that overall the Iranian Islamic Republic will come out strengthened out of this skirmish. It's nuclear power program will proceed without a hitch, and it will become the most important power-player in the region (and this may signal the death knell for the the Zionist regime of Israel). The biggest losers will be Washington and Israel, and their Arab allies in the Middle East. The Europeans, seeing which way the wind is shifting, are already beginning to backtrack, and Iran will move further into the Russia-China alliance of the BRIC nations
 and Shanghai block.

Berhan