[DEHAI] Google and Yahoo criticise Australia's 'heavy-handed' internet filter plans

From: asmirnz@kol.co.nz
Date: Mon Apr 05 2010 - 08:15:01 EDT

Selam dehai,
Australia and New Zealand Governments have not only blocked more than
10,000 websites but also we are not allowed to know what which
Websites they are. Simply both governments have taken what they
thought was fit to protect their citizens. I know one American blogger
has been chasing around the globe by New Zealand Government to bring
his blog site down but I do not know what it is all about. I abhor
?child p**n?, not only should they be blocked they should be closed.
Having said that, ?child p**n? is also used as a smoke screen for
anterior motives such us to erode individual and ....... privacies.

I just thought I bring this issue about ?free press?. Ade guala guala
teHma ade woda woda yeHma. What do you think?
Kind regards
Asmire nz

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10631938

Internet providers hit out at website blocker
By Bevan Hurley
4:00 AM Sunday Mar 14, 2010

A controversial internet filter has gone live. Photo / Supplied
A controversial internet filter which blocks access to hundreds of
websites on a secret Internal Affairs blacklist has gone live.
The "child exploitation" system was introduced last month in a bid to
stop online paedophile activity.
But it has come under fire from internet service providers for being
ineffectual and giving hackers an easy target.
A similar filter system caused a storm of protest when it was
introduced in Britain last year. Authorities promised it would be used
only to block child abuse websites, but politicians later tried to use
the technology to stop users accessing file-sharing sites.
Internet service providers (ISPs) can choose whether to use the
Government-owned software, which filters requests to access banned
sites.
Department of Internal Affairs deputy secretary Keith Manch said it
was one of several tools being used to combat child abuse on the
internet.
"We have been trialling this system for a couple of years and have put
a lot of planning into it. After consulting ISPs we decided it was
ready to go live."
But Slingshot chief executive Mark Callander had major concerns about
the system.
"It goes against principles of privacy and freedom from search, it is
ineffective for its purpose, and it sets a worrying precedent that a
government department can arbitrarily decide to block internet traffic
of its choosing."
Callander said it provided a tempting target for hackers.
"The filter provides a single point of failure that is vulnerable to
attack. We encourage our customers to use content filtering services
to provide protection and this puts them in control."
So far the only ISPs to have signed up to the $150,000 system are
Watchdog and Maxnet, who have around 1 per cent of the market share.
A Telecom spokeswoman said it was talking to Internal Affairs about
implementing the system.
By Bevan Hurley