Re: [DEHAI] 'Eritrea desperate to undo UN sanctions..'

From: Zeyhilel@aol.com
Date: Sat May 01 2010 - 09:35:34 EDT

Selam Dehaiers,

While it is at it with the Dawit Isaak case, if true, I hope the Government
 of Eritrea
completely gets out of the business of jailing people without charging
them. I have
written on this matter on a number occasions here in Dehai, as have many
others,
that it is simply indefensible and, quite bluntly. barbaric for the
Government of Eritrea
to keep fellow Eritreans behind bars without charging them and without
giving them
the opportunity of defending themselves in court. To stress my point, I
remember
citing here in Dehai the case of Tigrean King Yohannes giving his nemesis
[Eritrean]
Ras Woldemichael a day in court, some 130 years ago. Although, surely, the
court proceedings were biased and staged, but at least history reports
that Woldemicahael
pleaded his case in court before being banished to his confinement. Now,
Yohannes
and Woldemichael were sworn enemies that fought against each other for
years.

It is true that the Government of Eritrea is surrounded by enemies, big
and small, and
that some sensitive cases ought to be handled with utmost care. Yet, when
all is said
and done, there should be nothing more sacred that would honor the many
Eritrean
heroes that paid their lives for Eritrea's freedom, than those governing
the nation of
Eritrea upholding the sanctity of the basic human rights of every Eritrean
citizen.

Zeyhilel

-- Chance favors the prepared mind --[Louis Pateur]

K'bur Haile Abraham:
     Nice to hear from you too. I am doing alright..... old, retired,
slow, but, all things
considered I can say I am doing fine. Thank you for asking though.
     Haile, you said the article didn't sound interesting to you or
something like that.
Yes, I can agree with you that the writer seems to have a demeaning
demeanor in
his writing, which is now getting common in a number of African & some West
ern
reporters when it comes to Eritrea.
     I may be wrong, but, if you go beyond the belittling and demeaning
insinuations
that you said make the article not as interesting as we would have liked
it to be, and
add all the plusses and minuses said about Eitrea, I think the positives
are more.
     As you know me very well, I have always been a hard core Isayasist
and I still am.
But, I have never failed to air my feelings on the shortcoming we have
when it comes
to the refined skill of diplomacy and public relations. With love and
respect , I have
said it here in Dehai more than one time. But now, for the first time in
our political
history after independence, to read that Eritrea is running 'diplomatic
offense' in order
to have the UN sanctions lifted, was a big news to me and that made me
happy. Another diplomatic effort in consideration, according to the article
we are talking about is that Dawit Isaak, the Eritrean-Swedish journalist is
likely to be brought to court and this may likely help
improve the relationship of Eritrea with Sweden and the European union.
These and a
couple of statements such as the fact that the supply of arms from Eritrea
to the Al Shabab,
which I believe was not true but was reported as true anyway, is now said
as 'not happening'
any more..... etc....etc..
     Not in this article, but in a different paper, I can't exactly
remember where, it was
said that the Qatari government has asked Hillary Clinton to go easy on
Eritrea.....
a lot of diplomacy is going on... I am sure it will work out.... let's
keep our fingers crossed!!!
Tesfai Kflu