[DEHAI] (CNN) Obama's man on global development

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2010 - 09:58:18 EST

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/12/14/daniel.yohannes.mcc/

 Obama's man on global development
>From *Jill Dougherty*, CNN
 December 14, 2010 -- Updated 1437 GMT (2237 HKT)

Every week CNN International's African Voices highlights Africa's most
engaging personalities, exploring the lives and passions of people who
rarely open themselves up to the camera. This week we profile Ethiopian
native Daniel Yohannes, head of the Millennium Challenge Corporation.

*Washington (CNN)* -- Daniel Yohannes left his native country of Ethiopia
for the United States in 1970 with just $150 in his pocket.

Four decades later, he's worked his way up from low-level clerk to
successful bank executive to the head of a multi-billion dollar U.S. aid
program.

For a year now, Yohannes has headed the Millennium Challenge Corporation
(MCC), a U.S. government agency that gives grants to select countries to aid
in their development.

Born in Addis Ababa, the self-made businessman who came to the United States
in search of a better life says his background helps inform his work at the
MCC.
"One thing you learn in growing up in Ethiopia and Africa at the beginning
is poverty is dehumanizing," said Yohannes.

The MCC's specific mission is to reduce poverty through long-term economic
growth. To achieve that goal, the MCC is run "just like a business."

It makes sure the countries that are on the receiving end of financial aid
are creating a sustainable environment for growth, Yohannes says.

Tapped to lead the agency by U.S. President Barack Obama, Yohannes says the
role has given him an opportunity to give back to his adopted homeland.

"This country has been very good to me, so I wanted to give back to the
country that has given me so much," he said.

Yohannes left Ethiopia when he was just a teenager. "I came here to this
country with absolutely nothing," he recalled.

"I was in the 11th grade and I only had about $150 in my pocket, sufficient
for about two months rent. I had no choice but to get a job -- I started as
a stock clerk and I think in those days the minimum hourly rate was about
$1.75."

After completing his studies in economics and finance, he went on to forge a
long and successful career in the banking industry, before assuming his role
at the MCC last year.
  One thing you learn in growing up in Ethiopia and Africa at the beginning
is poverty is dehumanizing.
What gets him excited about working for the MCC is "the fact that we have
many opportunities to help those countries become self-sufficient and help
themselves get out of poverty."

According to Yohannes, only nations that show commitment to good governance,
encourage economic freedom and invest in their own people are eligible to
receive financial assistance.

"We have to be extremely selective in who we work with -- I mean we cannot
work with every single country, we have to help those who want to help
themselves," Yohannes said.

So far this year, the MCC says it's agreed to give nearly a billion dollars
in aid to five countries. It supports development projects in sectors such
as infrastructure, health, education and finance development.

According to Yohannes, there are several success stories stemming from the
agency's work.

The island country of Cape Verde, located off the coast of West Africa, has
improved its investment opportunities as well as citizens' access to schools
and clinics after using MCC's funds to expand its infrastructure, he noted.

Ghana is another success story, he says. The MCC trained thousands of
farmers to use modern technology and provided them with marketing skills and
access to credit.

"Ghanaians farmers are now producing pineapple from the result of our
training," said Yohannes.

A number of American companies have also begun sourcing Ghanaians pineapples
to the outside market, whereas before much produce was lost because there
simply wasn't access to markets.

A proud American now, Yohannes said he is "obligated and committed" to the
country that has helped him to achieve his goals in life.

"After 40 years, this becomes home -- your values, your friends, your
outlook, how you think," he said. "You really become an American."