[DEHAI] (SBNation) Another egghead apologizes to Meb Keflezighi

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 22:19:43 EST

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/11/3/1113474/on-meb-keflezighi-america
Meb Keflezighi And Americaby Sean Keeley
 • Nov 3, 2009 5:36 PM EST

On Sunday night, I wrote a commentary about NYC marathon winner Meb
Keflezighi. Keflezighi, who is a naturalized U.S. citizen, was born in the
African country of Eritrea. The post was intended to be a humorous take on
America's inability to groom homegrown runners into winners of major
marathons and that in order to boast victory in major races, America must
rely on athletes born elsewhere. As I re-read the commentary, coupled with
comments from readers on this site and others, I think it's pretty clear
that I did not do a good job of writing that nor in researching my topic. As
many have pointed out, had I done a bit more research I probably would have
realized that almost everything Keflezighi has done in his running career
has been in the U.S., where he has lived since he was 12.
I apologize to Keflezighi for slighting his achievement, which is a
spectacular one regardless of his nationality, and to anyone who was
offended by the post. Regardless of where he came from and how he got to
where he is today, Keflezighi's triumph isn't just a great American story,
it's a great human story. Hopefully that's not lost on everyone.
 **********
http://www.sbnation.com/2009/11/2/1110793/technically-an-american-won-the

Technically, An American Won The NYC Marathon...Kinda
by Sean Keeley • Nov 2, 2009 1:30 AM EST
Yes, 2009 NYC Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi is a U.S. citizen and therefore
that makes him the first American to win the race in 27 years. American
news outlets are falling all over themselves to talk this up. It's a
wonderful achievement, no doubt. We finally proved to the world that we're
better than Ethiopia at something.
But I can't help but think about the one fact that most people are
conveniently leaving out of the story. Keflezighi became a U.S. citizen in
1998. He was born in Eritrea. Which is located right next to...you guessed
it...Ethiopia.
I suppose if you can't beat'em, naturalize them.