[DEHAI] (CBC, Canada) Economically speaking, it's time to invade Eritrea

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Nov 06 2009 - 15:05:45 EST

 http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2009/11/05/f-vp-pittis.html Viewpoint Don
Pittis Economically speaking, it's time to invade Eritrea *Last Updated:
Friday, November 6, 2009 | 11:25 AM ET * By Don Pittis CBC
News<http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html>
*Don Pittis has reported on business for Radio Hong Kong, the BBC and the
CBC.*

Maybe it is time for the rest of the world to follow Canada's lead and pull
out of Afghanistan. Then we can all invade some place equally needy like
Eritrea. It only makes economic sense.

The idea struck me the other morning when I heard my old friend from Hong
Kong days, Adrian Edwards, on the radio announcing that the UN was
evacuating 600 of its foreign nationals from Kabul.

Adrian has worked in some the world's most exotic locations as a
correspondent and then as a UN official. He is not easily moved.

In fact, in talking to his wife a while ago, apparently his biggest hardship
complaint about Afghanistan was having to eat too much goat.

But as I heard Adrian's familiar pommy tones on the radio, a light bulb went
off in my head. It's time to invade someplace else!
Starting fresh

Frankly, except for the initial defeat of the Taliban government in 2002,
the invasion of Afghanistan has not gone particularly well.

Since then, the Taliban have bounced back. Most annoyingly, they seem to be
bouncing back in areas where NATO troops have been strongest.

Despite all that, Canadians and Americans tell us we are in Afghanistan to
help out. We are there to quell the fighting and stabilize the country.

We are there to build hospitals and schools, to create democracy, and to
teach Afghan farmers that there are better crops to grow than opium poppies.

Kabul used to be a relatively safe city. But the recent murderous attack on
the UN barracks last month shows it isn't safe any more. As Adrian said,
"Our security clearly isn't up to the job of dealing with these kinds of
attacks."
*Unlike Afghanistan, Eritrea is not landlocked, as this bridge across the
Red Sea port of Massawa shows. (Radu Sigheti/Reuters) *

So if things aren't going well in Kabul, let's take all those hard lessons
we've learned about development and peacekeeping and try somewhere else.
Let's start fresh.
Why Eritrea

I only chose Eritrea because in many ways it is similar to Afghanistan. We
could always send the troops someplace else instead.

Like Afghans, Eritreans are some of the poorest people in the world.
According to the CIA's helpful online database, the wealth of both
countries, divided by the total population, is about $700 dollars per person
per year.

That compares to about $40,000 per person in Canada and a world average of
roughly $10,000, according to the CIA.

Both countries have low levels of basic education, literacy and skills. In
both countries there is a shortage of schools, hospitals and infrastructure.

The difference is that, in Afghanistan, even if you can find UN workers
brave enough to build schools, hospitals and infrastructure, the Taliban
blows them up. And now they are blowing up UN workers too!

What a waste of money. What a waste of good people.
The Pittis plan

Here's my plan. And since Prime Minister Steven Harper apparently doesn't
read the Canadian media, perhaps one of you would mention it to him the next
time he's announcing something in your neighbourhood.

First of all, before invading anyone else, next time we ask permission. We
go to the Eritrean government and say "Hi. We'd like to spend a few billion
dollars in your country. Is that okay?"

Of course if they say No, it's all off. We'd have to go and find someplace
else to invade.

After Afghanistan, getting permission would be a huge leg up all by itself.

No one would be shooting at us as we give them money to build schools and
hospitals. No one would be setting roadside bombs to blow up our troops.

We'd save a bundle on danger pay. And, also good, our soldiers would not
have to shoot and blow up the local people.

That is very bad if you are trying to win over a population. It creates
understandable hostility.
Lots to do

But there would still be lots of work for our troops. One of the biggest
problems for the Eritrean economy is the recurring war with Ethiopia, which
disrupts planting in the fertile border areas and uses up productive
capacity and foreign exchange.

Canadians have decades of valuable experience as peacekeepers. Invading
Eritrea would give us a chance to use that experience again.

As a nation to develop, Eritrea has a lot going for it, including 1,000
kilometres of coast on the Red Sea.

One of its languages of instruction is English. We could recruit Canada's
unemployed youth to teach courses there.

The population, like Canada's, is fractured into many ethnic and religious
groups. The country's constitution calls for democracy.

With education, maybe, gradually, reality would begin to match.

Another big plus about Eritrea is that there is no tradition of growing and
exporting heroin to feed the world's drug addicts. And surely no one would
mind a little bit of mild-mannered Canadian influence in that area.

Of course, it is possible that invading Eritrea wouldn't help matters much.
Italy made a mess of it in its day.

Besides, many critics say that development aid just doesn't work, that
foreign money pouring into a destitute country does nothing but create a
corrupt and destabilizing elite.

Maybe this new kind of colonialism just creates the social rifts that lead
to civil war and the popular urge to chase the foreigners out and damn the
consequences.

That may all be true. But if an adventure in Eritrea doesn't work, if
spending billions doesn't make people richer and more peaceful and more
democratic. Then how absurd is it to think we can make that happen in
Afghanistan at the point of a gun?

Just asking.