[DEHAI] The Truck Graveyard Of Eritrea

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 10:23:41 EST

To see picture click here:
http://www.tachoblog.com/tachoblog-visits-truck-graveyard-eritrea/

It’s about time we looked at some more abandoned trucks, so let’s visit the
truck graveyard in Asmara, Eritrea.

Like our previous post Namibian Diamond Mine Vehicle Graveyard we have to
thank the excellent Artificial Owl website for these images. If you like
abandoned man made objects then we highly recommend you take a look.
Anyway, back to Eritrea…In Asmara there is a huge graveyard of wrecked
military vehicles (trucks, tanks, armoured vehicles, etc) which were
captured by the Eritreans or left behind by the Dergue from Ethiopia while
evacuating Eritrea.
Click below for more…

So what happened? Well, after World War 2 Eritrea struggled to keep itself
afloat economically so the United Nations decided in 1950 that it would be
better off being Ethiopia’s 14th province - something that Eritrea then
spent almost 50 years fighting against.

According to someone from Eritrea’s Department of Tourism, they ‘keep this
place as a reminder’.

In almost any other country this place would be a scrap metal merchant’s
dream, but in Eritrea it remains as a symbol of pride and victory over
Ethiopia.