Sudantribune.com: South Sudan's Kiir accuses IGAD of delaying peace deal

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon Nov 17 16:28:41 2014

South Sudan's Kiir accuses IGAD of delaying peace deal

  _____

November 17, 2014 (JUBA) - South Sudan's president Salva Kiir on Friday
accused the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) of allegedly
delaying peace talks to end the country's 11-month-long conflict, which has
killed thousand and displaced millions of people.

"Whenever we are about to reach a peace agreement, the IGAD imposes recess
and holidays, this is why peace has not yet been signed. But we are
committed as a government to bring peace to this country," said Kiir while
inaugurating a new ward at Juba military hospital.

"It is now time to look to the future. With your tremendous support, we have
collectively done so much but to take our country to the next level, there
is still more to be done," he added.

Several of the country's senior government and military officials attended
Friday's occasion.

Last week, IGAD, which is mediating talks between South Sudan's two warring
parties announced that progress was made in the power-sharing arrangements
between the two principal leaders during the 28th extraordinary summit
recently held by regional heads of state and government.

The two rivals reportedly agreed on how to share executive powers between
the president and prime minister, including an agreement to command separate
armies during initial phases of the would-be transitional period.

Mediators have given a15-day ultimatum for both sides to reach a consensus
on sticking points.

Observers, however, say a scrimmage for executive powers between the
president and prime minister means it could be weeks, if not months, before
a peace deal is struck.

Regional leaders have threatened both sides with sanctions should they fail
to end the conflict.