​(BicesterAdvertiser.) Two Britons 'die fighting for IS'

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:34:28 -0500

​
http://www.bicesteradvertiser.net/news/national/11620178.Two_Britons__die_fighting_for_IS_/
​

​​
Two Britons 'die fighting for IS'

First published Saturday 22 November 2014 in National News© by Press
Association 2014

Two British men have reportedly been killed fighting for Islamic State (IS)
in Syria.

Abu Abdullah al Habashi, 21, and Abu Dharda, 20, both from London, are
thought to have died in the Syrian border town of Kobani.

Kurdish fighters have been defending the town from an IS onslaught with the
assistance of American air strikes.

Mr al Habashi is believed to have made comments supporting IS on social
media and appeared in at least two propaganda videos put out by the
extremist group.

He grew up in north London in a British-Eritrean family, and converted to
Islam when he was 16, the BBC reported.

Mr al Habashi told the BBC in August that he was at the "forefront" of
fighting and claimed he was one of a few British Jihadis who have fought
with IS in both Syria and Iraq.

His family tried to convince him to return home but he said he was happy in
the Middle East and there was "no going back".

Mr Dharda, who comes from a British-Somali background and grew up in west
London, is understood to have travelled to Syria in December 2013, entering
via Turkey.

It is thought that 500 Britons have joined the conflict in Syria and a
round 27 are understood to have lost their lives after joining the Jihadis.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are aware of reports of the death of
two British nationals in Syria.

"The UK has advised for some time against all travel to Syria, where all UK
consular services are suspended.

"As we do not have any representation in Syria, it is extremely difficult
to get any confirmation of deaths or injuries and our options for
supporting British nationals there are extremely limited."