(Reuters): War-weary Darfuris see grim future with or without UN peacekeepers

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon Nov 24 11:10:50 2014

War-weary Darfuris see grim future with or without UN peacekeepers

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:19pm GMT

* Sudan asks UNAMID mission to prepare to leave

* Mission is ineffective, locals and analysts say

* Handling of mass rape claims highlights shortcomings

* Darfur region still blighted by violence, neglect

By Khalid Abdelaziz

TABIT, Sudan, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Caught in a forgotten war between rebels
and government forces and beset by bandits who roam the lawless roads,
villagers in Darfur say their lives can scarcely get any worse if Sudan
insists on international peacekeepers leaving their region.

UNAMID, the joint United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur, was
deployed seven years ago to stem violence against civilians during a civil
war in which the Sudanese government was accused of war crimes, crimes
against humanity and genocide.

With fighting still dragging on, UNAMID's shortcomings have drawn criticism
from the very people it was deployed to protect and Sudan has told it to
devise an exit strategy.

Khartoum's move elicited indifference rather than opposition in northern
Darfur, where much of the violence now rages.

"We won't be affected if UNAMID leaves because it doesn't play a significant
role in protecting civilians," said Mohamed Abdullah, a local civilian. "We
only hear about UNAMID submitting reports. We don't know what they do for
us."

A rare visit by journalists to the remote northern Darfur village of Tabit
-- site of recent allegations of mass rape -- showed how, despite the
presence of one of the world's largest peacekeeping missions, violence still
blights people's lives.

"Our lives are very difficult since the war began. We cannot grow crops
except in a very small area because rebels and gangs come and loot our
fields," said Mohamed Ismail, a resident.

Pointing to nearby mountains, Ismail added: "Just six kilometres from here,
rebels and bandits dominate the region."

The Darfur conflict, which erupted in 2003 when mainly African tribes took
up arms against the Arab-led government in Khartoum, has killed hundreds of
thousands of people and displaced over two million, according to the United
Nations.

Tabit was under rebel control for eight years of the war, with the
government reasserting its authority in 2010.

But much of that authority is nominal, with gunmen stalking dirt roads to
attack military and civilian vehicles alike, preventing villagers from
travelling even for healthcare.

Tabit's clinic, which catered to 22 villages, was destroyed in the fighting.

"There are no vaccines ... here," said Maha Adam, 26, cradling a baby. "We
cannot move outside the village perimeter to collect firewood and we wait
for hours every day to buy water at the only well ... We live in fear."

MASS RAPE

With officials standing by during the government-organised press trip, it
was difficult to speak freely about the alleged rape of 200 women and girls
by Khartoum's forces in Tabit, highlighting the hurdles faced by UNAMID
investigators.

Australia's U.N. envoy said on Nov. 10 Sudan's heavy military presence
during UNAMID's interviews of the alleged rape victims had raised serious
concerns.

UNAMID's conclusion that there was "no evidence" of the rapes triggered an
outcry from rights activists. Khartoum had delayed UNAMID's first visit to
the area in early November and denied it permission to visit a second time.

"All indicators confirm that the mass rape occurred in the Tabit area. We
and human rights organisations have irrefutable evidence and testimony to
prove the crime by government forces," said Jibril Bilal of the Justice and
Equality Movement, one of the main Darfur rebel groups.

Sudan denies its forces were involved in any such incident.

Last month, an internal U.N. review said UNAMID had failed to provide U.N.
headquarters with full reports on attacks against civilians and
peacekeepers.

The review was ordered after media reports alleged that UNAMID had covered
up details of deadly attacks to avoid provoking the government.

"UNAMID is something of a lost cause," said a Sudan analyst with a
conflict-monitoring organisation, asking not to be named.

Despite UNAMID's shortcomings, however, some observers say a neutral force
that offers some oversight is better than nothing.

"Even now, in the presence of UNAMID, we are scared... So how will it be if
UNAMID leaves Darfur completely?" a displaced Darfuri said. "UNAMID leaving
would mean that the world has abandoned the people of Darfur and left them
to die." (Writing by Shadi Bushra; Editing by Lin Noueihed and Gareth Jones)

C Thomson Reuters 2014 All rights reserved