A Newly Found Picture Of Bertha M. Clay, Author of Beyond Pardon

From: <HBokure_at_aol.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 01:51:12 -0500

Dear friends,

Bertha M. Clay (AKA Charlotte M. Brame), the author of "Beyond Pardon -ካብ
ይቅረታ ንላዕሊ" is still well-remembered by the Eritrean boomers of the
late forties and fifties. For more information, please read below.

A couple of years ago, only one of her pictures was available for all to
see. This is because Marie was a very private person, and she used her pen
name in most of her beloved books. The beauty and simplicity of her English
are so captivating, and let alone her stand as a feminist writer who
challenged the social fabric of the Anglos during Victorian Age.
-Haile

Charlotte M. Brame, the famous English novelist of the Victorian era is
still well-known by her pen name: Bertha M. Clay. His Majesty, Emperor
Haileselassie read "Beyond Pardon" during His exile in England where He lived at
Lalibela House. After liberation, His Majesty asked to Dr. Kebede Michael,
the most prolific writer of his time to translate the book into Amharic.
Such order had to do with His aim of building a good society (melkam
beteseb). The English version in narrative form is about five hundred pages, but he
translated it by adapting skillfully and beautifully in poetic form---
about eighty pages in all. Also, his book translated into Tigrigna by Ato
Tshaye during the late fifties. It was the favorite book among the incoming
generation of post war Eritrea. It was reprinted in the late sixties. Our
school teacher read for us this tragic story that is unacceptable in a
family-oriented society such as ours. The book was adapted into play several times.
It was this book that influenced me most as a poet from early on. I
believe many Eritreans authors were inspired by this book too among whom Uqbay
Weldegebriel and Dr. Asefaw Tekeste, the co-authors of magnum opus "nay
misTir mahder." Upon the recommendation of Dehayers the book: " kab yQreta
nlaEli" was reprinted by Yohanna Mahtem.

It is to be recalled that a couple of years ago meadna.com interviewed me
via its major web site for all to read. During the interview session, I
mentioned how Charlotte Brame influenced me during my formative years. That is
how Mrs. Debby McNally whom the author related to her by her father side
as the sister of great-great-grandfather found my name during her extensive
search in the Internet. During the last two years, we exchanged several
letters and e-mails concerning her tedious work in the States, Japan and in
her home land. Finally, in collaboration with other scholars she compiled her
scattered works into a full-blown bibliography. Following is the brief
account of her Odyssey that shared with her family members and friends as
well:-

20th February 2012

To my family and friends,

I remember when I was a young girl my grandma talking to me about a famous
authors in the family her name was Charlotte Mary Brame and for 35 years
the name stuck in my mind but it wasn't until I decided to research my
family history in 2008 that I made the connection. Charlotte Mary Brame is the
sister to my paternal great-great grandfather Benjamin Charles Law. I
decided to research Charlotte and her literary works and this book is the end
result of four years extensive research both in the UK and America. I soon
began to realize that this was not going to be an easy task. Charlotte was a
prolific English author but because there was no relevant copyright
agreement, her works were reprinted widely in the United States under the signature
" Bertha M. Clay", which was also employed freely for stories of similar
character written by others. My aim and later my co-authors was to unravel
the mystery concerning why and how her books were pirated in USA and of
which books were her true works. Thus this is the first comprehensive list of
more than two hundred works written by Charlotte it gives guidance
concerning the hundreds of other titles that have been associated with her name and
a detailed account of why and how this state of affairs came about. The
book is formally an e-book published by Canterbury Christ Church University
for the Victorian Research Fiction Guide series; it will be of help to
academics and scholars studying Victorian Literature and Media at Universities and
 libraries throughout the world.

Through this research I have met and corresponded with some amazing people
two of which I would like to mention are Keika Hari also from Tokyo, who I
had the pleasure of meeting along with her delightful parents last summer
in Hinckley, she has translated some of Charlotte's works into Japanese and
is also publishing a book on Charlotte..... Also Haile Bokure living in
Georgia , America. Haile is a teacher, an award winning poet and writer and
has said it was was Charlottes book "Beyond Pardon" that influenced him
most, he's also translated some of Charlotte's books into his native language
Eritrea.

Finally I would like to dedicate this book to Marie Caltieri (also related
to Charlotte) my second cousin and my teacher at primary school. Marie is
an inspirational lady and whom I am lucky enough to be in her company. I am
owe of her brilliance, she has such enthusiasm and vigor for life, now in
her 80' she still doesn't let ill health interfere with what she wants to
do whether it be studying the works of Jane Austin or hot air ballooning!
She is the kind of person, when she speaks you listen, because what she has
to say is so very interesting, a very intelligent lady having lived life to
the fullest and will, I am sure pack in lots more for years to come.

One last note.... if my dad was here today, I hope he would be proud of
what I have achieved for his maternal ancestor! My intentions have always
been, when others wish to research Charlotte, Mary Brame (whether it is in the
next ten or one hundred years), that they will have a bibliographical
account to make their work a little easier!

Fondest regards
Debby McNally

Charlotte M. Brame
(1836-1884)