Aljazeera.com: Fleeing the horrors of South Sudan fighting

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat Nov 29 17:26:05 2014

Fleeing the horrors of South Sudan fighting

At least 25,000 displaced people have gathered on the northern border, with
more on the way trying to escape attacks.

 <http://www.aljazeera.com/profile/ashley-hamer.html> Ashley Hamer Last
updated:

29 Nov 2014 06:39

Calek, South Sudan - Four-hundred families arrived in the baking, dusty
village of Calek recently after they fled in two waves from Abyei, a
contested fist of land on the border of Sudan and South Sudan.

"I had five children," young mother Achol Dhieu, 30, told Al Jazeera. "I ran
away with two babies because the other three were hiding in a church and
died when the rebels burned it down. My husband too was killed in August."

The first wave of families were displaced in September by violent raids from
the Misseriya - Arab cattle-herding militia rumoured to be armed by Sudan's
government to the north.

The second came running from clashes in eastern Abyei between South Sudanese
government forces and the Sudan People's Liberation Army In Opposition -
fighters formerly part of the national army until the government fractured
in December 2013. That's when Vice President Riek Machar launched a violent
opposition to President Salva Kiir, setting his loyal Nuer tribesmen against
Salva's Dinka people.

The new families in Calek - all a sub-tribe of the Dinka - left with nothing
in October and walked south for a month through the bush into South Sudan's
Northern Bahr el Ghazal state, their ancestral homeland........

Read it in PDF attachment below:

Berhane