[dehai-news] (NT) Feller to retire from coaching

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 10:21:36 EST

Tuesday, 24th February 2009

Feller to retire from coaching

BONNIE MUGABE

APR head coach Rene Feller will retire from coaching when his contract
with the military side expires on April 1, Times Sport can exclusively
reveal.

The Dutchman signed a one-year deal last April to replace Andy Mfutila,
who was sacked one year into his two-year contract.

In an exclusive interview with Times Sport yesterday, Feller admitted
that he's bowing out of the game on health grounds, leaving his
assistant Erik Paske in charge of the record nine-time league champions.

"I have health complications and I will go for a surgery in Holland in
early April after completing my contract with APR.

"When it expires on April 1, I don't intend to renew it. I plan to will
grandfather, so I need time off to be with my grandchildren," Feller
acknowledged.

Feller, 65 also added that he will stay in touch with APR management and
would be helpful in the development of football in the country if
contacted.

"We have a played a big role in revamping football at APR. Players know
what we require from them and what to do when asked.

"APR football display is excellent compared to other local and regional
football clubs. The team is in good form, the players are happy and
mentality is pleasant," Feller said, recommending his assistant Paske to
take over from him.

Though the aging trainer intends to retire from coaching role, he
revealed that he has received several offers to coach in Dubai and
Europe.

Feller joined APR on a one-year contract, just five months after being
appointed national coach of Eritrea in 2008, taking over from Mfutila,
who was axe after APR crashed out of the Champions League in the first
round with a 4-1 goals aggregate against Egyptian side Zamalek.

Feller's tenure with Eritrea lasted just three months, after the Red Sea
Boys withdrew from 2010 World Cup qualification. He also previously
worked in Kuwait.

Last year, Feller won the Amahoro Cup title but relinquished the
national league crown to a Jean Marie Ntagwabira led Atraco.

The veteran tactician did not only lose the league title but he also
failed to help nine-time league champions defend their Cecafa/Kagame Cup
title, dropping out at the quarterfinal stage.

This year, Feller has guided APR reach the second round of the African
Confederation Cup after thrashing Kenya's Gor Mahia 6-1 on goals
aggregate.

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13816
<http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13816&article=13611>
&article=13611