[dehai-news] Shabait.com: Burgeoning Investments Owing To Conducive Policies

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2010 - 06:54:15 EST

Burgeoning Investments Owing To Conducive Policies

Written by Kesete Ghebrihiwet |

01/03/2010

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/-primo-jovani2.jpgOne who knew Massawa
before twenty years would be definitely surprised and may not believe he is
visiting the same destination. The port city, which was once severely
devastated by war, is now regaining the beauty and glamour it had more than
ever. In addition to the infrastructural activities that have been carried
out under public projects, private investors have also been contributing
their share in the re-making of Massawa. Mr. Primo Giovanni is one among
those who took such initiative.

Q: Could you tell us a little about your life in Eritrea before
independence?

A: I grew up in Asmara in the area known as Akria. Life under Ethiopian
colonial rule was difficult especially for the young people and thus I was
compelled to leave my country and move to Italy.

Q: Can you tell us about your investment ventures in Massawa?

When I returned to Eritrea in the early days of independence, I visited
Massawa and saw that everything was destroyed; all its buildings darkened by
the bombardments and Torino Hotel totally covered in smoke. Then I thought
of participating in renovating the city with my fellow Eritreans. Even
during the period of armed struggle when I was in Italy I often thought of
Eritrea and I was also very optimistic and certain that Eritrea would one
day become independent. Following independence I came back to Eritrea and
began contemplating of making various investments.

Q: Have you invested in any project other than the Dahlak Grand Hotel?

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/-primo-jovani1.jpg
Yes, I first purchased and renovated the former Keren Hotel, which is now
Albergo Italia in Asmara. The hotel is now rendering good services with 18
rooms and 58 employees. I am also building a hotel in the Dessie Island,
which is 36 kilometers from Massawa. This hotel as well is expected to give
services in the next three months with the completion of 21 Hidmo suites and
27 huts.

Q: Do you believe that Dahlak Grand Hotel would attract many visitors?

I could say there would be a number of visitors who would like to stay in
the hotel. We may not even accommodate them all. Once the hotel starts to
give services there would be many guests flocking here. There are many
people who wish to visit the Eritrean islands and this hotel is ready to
give full services including sea travels. Any one who wishes to sail out to
far islands would be welcomed to have the chance with the small boats and a
medium sized ship that could accommodate 150 up to 200 passengers in its 38
rooms.

Though our hotel is in par with five star hotels, for the time being, we
would rank it as a four star hotel. The hotel was built with an idea to
accommodate both individual needs as well as large families. It can host
from 500 to 700 clients at once in the 206 spacious rooms. The rooms are all
well furnished with telephone services, multi-channeled TV, refrigerator,
and automatic ventilation system. The hotel also comprises three
restaurants, six bars, cinema, a conference hall, a swimming pool. Moreover,
when the hotel starts to render full services it would create employment
opportunity for around 350 people.

Q: Tell us about some of the antique doors found in this hotel?

I am a craftsman and very much enjoy collecting antiques. I have an
antiquities shop in Milano Italy. I also used to sell souvenirs. That is why
I imported the well-designed doors that represent the Ottomans and the
Portuguese, and these doors are really fascinating.

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/-primo-jovani.jpg
Q: How would you describe the investment opportunities in Eritrea?

The finalization of this project would not be possible without the full
cooperation of the relevant authorities. In fact, Eritrea is a land of
boundless opportunities for those who would like to invest in any sector.
This conducive atmosphere, coupled with the heart-warming hospitality of the
Eritrean people encourages one to invest more in this country.

Q: When will the Dahlak Grand Hotel be officially inaugurated?

Though it was temporarily opened to accommodate visitors who participated in
the 20th anniversary of Fenkil operation celebrations, it would be
officially inaugurated on the 19th Independence Anniversary on May 24, 2010.

Thank you.

image001.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg