[dehai-news] Garoweonline.com: Somalia rebels vow to defend against govt offensive

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2010 - 13:24:05 EST

Somalia rebels vow to defend against govt offensive
Mar 8, 2010 - 8:14:09 AM

Senior security officer for Somalia's Hizbul Islam said his group will
defend itself from any attack by the Somali government.

Sheikh Ibrahim Bare Mohammed, who is Hizbul Islam's Deputy commander in
Banadir region, vowed that his group will do everything to retain the
control of the bullet-riddled capital, saying they are not afraid of the
United States.

"We are controlling many part of Mogadishu...we will defend...because we
already controlled..we can't accept our enemy to handle this region and we
are not afraid of American government" said sheikh Ibrahim.

He adds, ""God is with us..we will defeat any attack from the Somali
government."

The UN-backed government announced that it has finished preparation to
launch the much awaited offensive against the powerful insurgents.

Senior US security officials were quoted as saying that Washington is
planning to support the TFG through aerial attacks and conducting nighttime
surveillance in the Al-Shabaab-controlled areas of the capital

"What you are likely to see is air strikes and Special Ops moving in,
hitting and getting out," the official is quoted as saying.

The fragile government, led by Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, only controls
handful of areas in Mogadishu with much of the countries south and central
falling under the hands of insurgents.