[dehai-news] (Competitor) Keflezighi Talks About Upcoming Olympic Trials

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 08:04:12 -0500

http://running.competitor.com/2012/01/news/keflezighi-talks-about-upcoming-olympic-marathon-trials_44491?utm_medium=whats-hot

Keflezighi Talks About Upcoming Olympic Trials

Updated: Jan 2nd 2012 7:50 AM UTC by News

He’s racing again just 69 days after the ING New York City Marathon.

Meb Keflezighi is optimistic about his chances at the upcoming U.S.
Olympic Marathon Trials. Photo: PhotoRun.net

The 2004 Olympic silver medalist, Meb Keflezighi, is one of the
favorites to win the upcoming U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston,
Texas later this month. In a recent interview with Runner’s World,
Keflezighi, who is an Eritrean-born U.S. citizen, recently ran the ING
New York City Marathon where he was the first American to cross the
line.

“I’s always a challenge to push your body to get ready for a marathon,
and it’s even tougher just 69 days after your last one,” he said of
the short span between the Trials and New York. “It took a little
while to get back into it, but things are good now. I’m OK with how
training has been going.”

Despite the course’s flat and fast nature in Houston, Keflezighi
maintains a grounded approach when it comes to expectations at the
Trials. “No matter how it’s run, whether it’s uphill, downhill, or
flat, a marathon is 26.2 miles, and you have to respect the distance,”
he said. “There are a lot of guys who are going to be in great
shape…You do all your training to prepare the rest of your body, but
coach Joe Vigil used to say what counts on race day is the nine inches
above your shoulders.”