[dehai-news] (Charles Cantalupo) The Unlikely Story of an American Deeply Connected with Africa

From: Er-News <er_news_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 23:11:37 -0500

Charles Cantalupo
Distinguished Professor of English, Comparative Literature, and
African Studies
Penn State University

--
Michigan State University Press
Press Release
The Unlikely Story of an American Deeply Connected with Africa
[East Lansing, MI]  Charles Cantalupos new book Joining Africa is now
available from Michigan State University Press and is available for
sale through their website www.msupress.msu.edu and at fine bookstores.
This eye-opening personal history tells the story of an American
college professors twenty-year engagement with a thriving Africa
rarely encountered by Western visitors, including an extraordinary
connection to poets across the continent. At once adventurous,
spiritual, political, dreamlike, and humorous, Joining Africa is a
unique documentary of a journey through the continent, including an
intense five-year encounter with economically struggling but
culturally fertile Eritrea. The Africa presented here is neither a
postcolonial study nor an exotic tourist destination. It is rich with
the voices of its people, whose languages, Cantalupo argues, have
greater potential to effect change than any NGO or high-profile
celebrity. In vibrant prose, Cantalupos book extends a stirring
invitation to reevaluate how we engage  both individually and
collectively  with this remarkable part of the world.
About Joining Africa:
This is a beautiful and moving account of how an American white guy
from Orange, New Jersey got wrapped up in Africa and became the
public voice of the once invisible literature of Eritrea. It is an
unforgettable account of the other Africaa place of hope, of longing,
and redemption.
Simon Gikandi, Robert Schirmer Professor of English, Princeton
University
Joining Africa is the expansive, expressive, and arresting story of
one mans journey into the heart and soul of the African poetry
tradition. Cantalupo opens the way into a world few of us will ever
visit, bringing the beauty, pain, and power of language fully alive
on the page.
Dinty W. Moore, author of Between Panic & Desire
Every artist inevitably comes up againstand then must triumph overhis
most abject and revelatory moments. Charles Cantalupo has done it in
Joining Africa. All-encompassing, all-embracing, and capacious, this
is his Gesamtkunstwerk, an obsessive, retrospective journey that
builds upon the author's lifelong ethnographic and literary
preoccupations. The book literally stands for what the author
believes in, and grateful readers revel in the gift.
Neil Baldwin, author of Legends of the Plumed Serpent: Biography of a
Mexican God
About the Author:
Charles Cantalupo is Distinguished Professor of English, Comparative
Literature, and African Studies at Penn State University, Schuylkill.
Title: Joining Africa
Subtitle: From Anthills to Asmara