[dehai-news] (Deutsche Presse-Agentur) INTERVIEW: Eritrea rejects Ethiopia blame for attack on tourists

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:26:52 -0500

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/africa/news/article_1686445.php/INTERVIEW-Eritrea-rejects-Ethiopia-blame-for-attack-on-tourists
INTERVIEW:
Eritrea rejects Ethiopia blame for attack on tourists

By Shabtai Gold Jan 20, 2012, 2:06 GMT

Johannesburg - A deadly attack on European tourists along the border
between Ethiopia and Eritrea has renewed a war of words between the two
rivals, with Asmara rejecting accusations by Addis Ababa that it was behind
the violence.

Gunmen killed five European tourists in Ethiopia's north-eastern Afar
region near the border with Eritrea on Monday, and took four people as
hostages.

The Ethiopian government has put the blame squarely on Eritrea, which it
accused of supporting and directing the gunmen. It gave no evidence to
support its claim.

'It is a false publication by Ethiopia, which always seeks to find
something against Eritrea and portray a negative image of Eritrea,' Saleh
Omar, Eritrea's ambassador to South Africa, told dpa in an interview on
Thursday. He added he was not surprised by the claim.

Ethiopia's Foreign Ministry said in a statement posted on its website: 'It
is already clear that the attack was carried out with the direct
involvement of the Eritrean government.' The statement added that Ethiopia
would 'take whatever action is necessary to stop the activities of the
Eritrean regime once and for all.'

Eritrea declared independence from Ethiopia in 1993 after years of
conflict. The two East African countries have frequently traded jibes since
2000, when a two-year war that left more than 100,000 people dead ended.

The tourists killed on Monday were two Germans, two Hungarians and an
Austrian. Two Germans and two Ethiopians were also kidnapped, according to
the Ethiopian government. Several people were injured.

'I feel very sorry for those killed, including the two Germans,' the
Eritrean ambassador said.

Eritrea's Foreign Ministry said Ethiopia's claims were 'ludicrous' and
alleged the attack was perpetrated by 'home-grown internal opposition
movements spawned by its (Ethiopia's) misguided policies.'

The major point of contention is a lingering dispute over the demarcation
of their shared border, with Eritrea charging that Ethiopia is occupying a
piece of its territory.

In 2011, Ethiopia claimed Eritrea was behind an attempt to bomb an African
Union (AU) summit in Addis Ababa, where the organization is headquartered.

It made a similar claim against Eritrea after Monday's attack, accusing it
of planning to derail an AU summit later this month.

'There is absolutely no intention by Eritrea to interrupt an AU summit. Why
would we?' said Omar.

Asked about the prospect of lasting peace between the neighbours, the
ambassador said Eritrea wanted 'normalized and good relations' with
Ethiopia, but the border issue should be resolved first.

'We have a no war, no peace situation,' he said.

The scope of the rivalry goes beyond their borders. Western powers accuse
Eritrea aiding Islamist insurgents al-Shabaab in Somalia, whose weak
government is backed by Ethiopia. Eritrea denies the charge.