[dehai-news] Globalpost.com: Al-Shabaab attacks Ethiopian military base in Somalia

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:38:35 +0100

Al-Shabaab attacks Ethiopian military base in Somalia

Militants from the Islamist al-Shabaab group today drove a truck filled with
explosives into an Ethiopian military base in central Somalia.

 <http://www.globalpost.com/bio/amanda-morrow> Amanda Morrow

January 24, 2012 05:31

http://www.google.com/images/cleardot.gifMilitants from the Islamist
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Shabaab> al-Shabaab group today drove a
truck filled with explosives into an Ethiopian military base in central
Somalia,
<http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE80N01T20120124?feedType=RSS&fe
edName=topNews&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true> Reuters reported.

More on GlobalPost:
<http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/africa-emerges/somali
a-mogadishu-amisom-forces-evict-al-shabaab> Mogadishu attempts to evict
Al-Shabaab

The al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab said 10 Ethiopian soldiers died in the
attack, in the town of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beledweyne>
Beladweyne, near the Ethiopian border. The casualty count has not been
officially confirmed.

Military official Hussein Aden told Reuters :

"A minibus carrying explosives entered Baladweyne administration
headquarters compound. Government soldiers tried to stop it by firing but
all in vain."

 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16697879> The BBC reported that
Beledweyne had been wrestled from the al-Shabaab's control earlier this
month.

Al-Shabaab is seeking to drive Somali's Transitional Federal Government,
which is backed by <http://www.au.int/> African Union troops, from power
and impose Sharia law.

Claiming responsibility for the attack, the group's spokesman, Sheikh
Abdiasis Abu Musab, told Reuters:

"We carried the car bomb successfully into the Ethiopian and Somali base in
Baladweyne this morning. Our brave driver is martyred. There we killed many
Ethiopian and Somali troops on a parade."

Ethiopian and Kenyan forces entered Somalia following a series of
cross-border attacks, but Ethiopia is looking to withdraw, the BBC reported.

Its troops are to be replaced by those from the African Union mission in
Somalia,
<http://www.africa-union.org/root/au/auc/departments/psc/amisom/amisom.htm>
AMISOM, but a time-limit has not been set.