[dehai-news] Winnipegfreepress.com: Husband charged in death that stunned Eritrean community

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:40:46 +0100

Husband charged in death that stunned Eritrean community

By: Aldo Santin

Alche Kidane is carried on a stretcher after suffering severe upper-body
injuries.

A 32-year-old man is facing charges of second-degree murder after his wife
was stabbed to death Monday night in their downtown apartment.

Alche Fsehaye Kidane, 34, died late Monday of injuries police describe as
consistent with being stabbed.

Emergency officials rushed to her suite at Palmer House, at 372 Assiniboine
Ave., at about 10:10 p.m., Monday after an assault was reported. Kidane was
taken by ambulance in critical condition and was declared dead at the
hospital.

Teklu Tesfamichael Mebrahtu, 32, has been charged with second-degree murder,
police said Wednesday. He has been detained in custody.

Kidane's death has left members of Winnipeg's Eritrean community stunned.

"I was just shocked when I heard," said Ghirmay Yeibio, president of
Community of Eritrean Canadians in Manitoba, who sponsored Kidane and her
husband through Welcome Place.

"When an immigrant comes to Canada and a death like this, it's so tragic,
it's a disaster, it's a big tragedy."

Kidane arrived in Winnipeg in August 2011, after she and her husband made
their way from Khartoum, Sudan.

The couple moved into a suite at the Assiniboine Avenue apartment after
their arrival in Canada.

She was sponsored by a cousin who had begun the process in 2008.

Lambros Kyriakakos, president of Eritrean Community In Winnipeg Inc., said
members of the community came together to mark the woman's death. Tuesday
night, people crowded into the centre at Hargrave Street and Ellice Avenue
to offer support to the victim's family members.

"Something very tragic has happened," Kyriakakos said earlier Tuesday.
"We're trying to support the victim and her family."

A family member of the woman declined comment Tuesday night, but said the
family wants Kidane's body sent back home to Eritrea.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact investigators at
986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 786-TIPS (8477).