[dehai-news] Theforeigner.no: Government backs Ethiopians' departure

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:47:01 +0100

 <http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/government-backs-ethiopians-departure/>
Government backs Ethiopians’ departure

Published on Friday, 27th
<http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/archive/2012/01/> January,
<http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/archive/2012/> 2012 at 12:27 under the
<http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/> news category, by
<http://theforeigner.no/pages/contributors/lyndsey-smith/> Lyndsey Smith
<https://plus.google.com/116281273011551124303/about>
http://www.google.com/images/icons/ui/gprofile_button-16.png .

Norway has signed an agreement with Ethiopia enabling nationals to return
home, officials say.

The new deal means will enable around 400 paperless Ethiopians living in
Norway illegally from authorities’ point of view to go back. Deputy Minister
of Justice Pål K. Lønseth encourages them to return to Ethiopia voluntarily,
giving them 40,000 kroner.

“We will not be using the option of forcible returns before the 15th March,
meaning they have the opportunity to apply for a voluntary one soreturn. So
the can return to Ethiopia under general conditions,” he tells NRK.

According to him, 15,000 kroner is “if they choose to reintegrate themselves
in Ethiopia”, the rest is financial support towards measures after their
arrival.

Approximately 100 Ethiopians went
<http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/updated-ethiopians-hunger-strike-against-
norwegian-asylum-policy/> on hunger strike last February, locking themselves
inside Oslo Cathedral, in protest against their treatment by the Norwegian
Directorate of Immigration (UDI).

Those demonstrating at the time felt their lives were in danger because of
Ethiopia’s political situation. The hunger strike lasted a week and the
protesters gathered support from people in
<http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/ethiopian-hunger-strikers-leave-cathedral
/> Oslo and Stavanger.

Calling the new agreement following 20 years of negotiation “good for
Norway”, Deputy Minister Lønseth is now hoping deals can be made with other
countries, and that “police and immigration authorities use it effectively.”

However, watchdog the Norwegian Organisation for Asylum Seekers (NOAS)
personnel express concern about how the government has handled matter,
particularly regarding children.

Secretary General Ann-Margrit Austenå says, “A number of Ethiopian children
have lived in Norway for quite some time, and we believe their situation
must be addressed. The government must postpone cases and make a new
assessment if it is serious about their best interests.”

“I fear we will see some incidents of imprisonments [when Ethiopians have
returned], and at the very worst torture, as well as destruction of
individuals and families. Ethiopia’s regime is extremely authoritarian, with
human rights violations having got worse over the past year. Many of them
have been engaged in political opposition whilst living in Norway, and it
will have consequences for some,” she concludes.

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)