[dehai-news] MUST WATCH-Jeremy Scahill: U.S. Has Ignited Islamist Uprising in Impoverished, Divided Yemen

From: Filmon <chaplin1920_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 02:20:27 -0600

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/2/16/jeremy_scahill_us_has_ignited_islamist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asa0mT180UY

Has U.S. counterterrorism policy in Yemen strengthened the very threat it
sought to eliminate? We speak with journalist Jeremy Scahill, who reports
in a new cover story for The Nation magazine that U.S. drone strikes,
civilian drone casualties and deepening poverty in Yemen have all
contributed to the rise of an Islamist uprising. "The arrogance of the U.S.
was always thinking that whatever U.S. official was sent to Yemen was
smarter than Ali Abdullah Saleh," Scahill says. "[Saleh] was a master chess
player, and he milked counterterrorism as his cash cow... [U.S.-supplied]
forces have almost never been used to actually battle anyone determined to
be terrorists. They’ve existed primarily for the defense of the Saleh
regime."