[dehai-news] (Reuters) Ethiopia's pattern of provocation continues, conducts more attacks inside Eritrea

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:39:59 -0400

http://af.reuters.com/article/ethiopiaNews/idAFL5E8EH08C20120317

UPDATE 1-Ethiopia attacks rebel targets in Eritrea-govt source
Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:08pm GMT

  * Ethiopia announced previous attack on Thursday

* Eritrea says will not be "entrapped" by incursion (Adds background)

ADDIS ABABA, March 17 (Reuters) - Ethiopian troops carried out more attacks
on Ethiopian rebels inside Eritrea on Saturday, a day after Eritrea called
for U.N. action against its neighbour for a previous incursion.

This week's attacks were the first on Eritrean soil that Addis Ababa has
admitted to since the end of a 1998-2000 war that killed 70,000 people.
Eritrea says there have been others before.

"We've carried out further attacks on targets inside Eritrea. This time
it's in the north section around Badme," a senior Ethiopian government
official told Reuters on Saturday.

"We were once again successful. This strike was part of our plan to take
proportional measures that included the attacks in Eritrea's southeast."

The official did not say who the troops had targeted, but said Ethiopia's
government would make a more detailed announcement later in the day.

Addis Ababa announced on Thursday its troops had raided three military
bases in Eritrea which it said were used by the rebels. It also accused the
Eritrean government weeks ago of planning to kidnap Western tourists.

Eritrea said on Friday it would not be "entrapped" by the military
incursion, signalling its determination to avert another conflict with its
bitter foe. It called on the U.N. Security Council to "take appropriate
measures to rectify acts of aggression against Eritrea's sovereign
territories".

A vicious row over the position of Eritrea and Ethiopia's shared border was
not resolved at the end of the war.

The Hague-based Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission ruled in 2002 that the
border village of Badme belonged to Eritrea. But the village remains in
Ethiopia, Washington's main ally in the volatile Horn of Africa. (Reporting
by Aaron Maasho; Writing by James Macharia; Editing by Alessandra Rizzo)