[dehai-news] (KROTV) Eritrean man, victim of a stabbing in north Seattle may have been trying to help a woman accused of pulling out a knife and killing him

From: Semere Asmelash <semere22_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 19:07:13 +0000

at

Stabbing victim likely attacked by woman he was trying to help

 comment (2)

 Share

Vote

North Seattle stabbing suspect

Posted 4 April,2012
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/crime-law/stabbing-victim-was-likely-trying-help-prostitute-/nMJwY/

SEATTLE —

The victim of a stabbing in north Seattle may have been trying to help a woman accused of pulling out a knife and killing him, his friends told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

Friends and neighbors said 54-year-old Zerabruk Habtemariam was the ultimate good Samaritan and that he was likely to stop and help the woman he had never seen before as she waved him down on Aurora Avenue North on Monday.

"He just always impressed me as being that kind of person. He's just very friendly, always had a very nice, calm demeanor about him," said Craig Aho, Habtemariam's neighbor.

Police found Habtemariam bleeding to death outside his truck near a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop on Aurora Avenue North and North 125th Street.

A witness said he was stabbed by Karen Latham, 22. Latham told police he offered her a ride. She said that when she asked for money and he only had $5, she stabbed him in a rage.

A friend of Latham, Lisa Brady, said the two of them worked as prostitutes on Aurora Avenue. Brady said she thinks that when Habtemariam turned out to be a good Samaritan and not a customer, Latham may have snapped.

"She must've been having a really bad day. You know, and she assumed that he was going to give her more money or assumed that he was going to be a date -- and when it didn't work out, she just tripped out," Brady said.

Elliott Doescher said he knew Latham well and that Latham armed herself with a long folding knife after she was attacked in a car a week ago.

"But I can't see her going on the attack," Doescher said. "I saw stress in her and a lot of stress since the attempted abduction, but I did not even see this coming."

Police said Latham ran down the street carrying the bloody knife, and a witness called 911. Police found Latham hiding blocks away with the knife.