[dehai-news] NUEYS Australia and New Zealand branch established

From: NUEYS Eritrea <nueyspub2001_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:21:11 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.nueys.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137:nueys-australia-and-new-zealand-branch-established&catid=64:nueys-branches-abroad&Itemid=73 On Saturday, 7 April 2012, youth representative from the major cities of Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth came together in a congress to establish a branch of the National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students (NUEYS), namely NUEYS Australia & New Zealand.   The event was opened with a tribute to Eritrea's Martyrs. After a brief introduction by Mr. Hussen Hubadin, who had first taken on this initiative, Selamawit Woldeslasse, a spokesperson from Melbourne, started off the conference by defining and highlighting the mission, values, vision, objectives and principles of NUEYS. The conference then proceeded to have the representatives from each interstate gave a short speech. This was then followed by a presentation from the chairperson of the Festival Organization Committee, Mr. Yassin Omer. His comprehensive presentation evolved around the desired goal of a more higher level of involvmenet of the community for the betterment of both the youth and the wider Eritrean community in Australia.   The Eritrean Consulate in Melbourne, Mr. Besher Omer, concluded the first half the day by discussing the controversy of today’s media revolving in the Horn of Africa and the ill will of those who are engaged in weakening Eritrean youth through agents, media and psychological warfare, etc.; and how these attempts have been rebuffed.   In the second half of the day the youth engaged in group discussions focusing on issues regarding to the establishment of NUEYS in Australia and New Zealand on the basis of the current situation in the wider Eritrean community. The group discussed pressing and challenging points, including: what we do, who we do it for, and how and why we do it; what are our short and long term goals; and what are our challenges. A representative from each group presented their point of view on these topics; each point raised was discussed by all the attendees.   Throughout the conference, the following points were identified and outlined:   •         An interim leadership for each interstate was elected, with the official leadership election period set for two weeks from the date of the conference;   •         Participants agreed that there must be strong unity and understanding between members in order to succeed in reaching the objectives of the branch and become role models to other youngsters;   •         The first step that should be taken is to promote NUEYS in Australia and New Zealand to recruit more members;   •         Participants agreed that the primary objective of the branch must be to focus on reaching the youth that are more distant from their culture, identity, and those who are disintegrated from their own community;   •         The branch will aim at increasing and strengthening youth participation in nation-building activities (both in Eritrea and within their communities abroad);   •         The branch will provide “forum” for youth in Australia in general, and workshops to help Eritrean high school students navigate their way;   •         NUEYS-Australia and New Zealand is to work closely with the Eritrean Consulate in Melbourne and the community;   •         Each sub-branches (interstate NUEYS) are to participate in a partnership activities every year for the Eritrean Festival in Australia and New Zealand   •         The sub-branches are to promote NUEYS volunteer program to their members;   •         The sub-branches are to share ideas and network to keep the momentum progressing for the betterment of the Eritrea youth in Australia and New Zealand;   •         The branch will hold a General Meeting every 2 years, where in each occasion the executive board shall be elected (conferences or other meetings may be held when necessary);   •         Each sub-branch (interstates) will have a representative in the Eritrean National Community Council;   •         The branch plans to hold a conference on the eve of the Eritrean Festival in Australia and New Zealand in 2013.     The atmosphere of the conference was effervescent, filled with enthusiastic and proactive youth encircled with a common goal of building a strong, united and versatile youth all over Australia and New Zealand that is aware and proud of their culture, identity, heritage and history. All in all, the conference was successful, and is great milestone getting the Eritrean Youth in Australia together.     Branch Name: NUEYS in Australia and New Zealand   Branch email: nueys.aust.nez9_at_gmail.com