[dehai-news] THE EEBC DECISION TEN YEARS LATER AND ETHIOPIA'S ILLEGAL OCCUPATION: Unwelcome opportunity to expose unjustness

From: Yacob Fisseha <fwd_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:56:01 -0400

THE EEBC DECISION TEN YEARS LATER AND ETHIOPIA'S ILLEGAL OCCUPATION:
UNWELCOME OPPORTUNITY TO EXPOSE UNJUSTNESS

By Yacob Fisseha

Ten years after it was handed down, the decision of the EEBC is still
not implemented. Unfortunately, this is demeaning to the rule of law,
to the multi-lateral international organizations that co-signed the
agreement, and to the universal norm that nations exist and behave in
the context of collective security. Furthermore, there will be no
peace in the Horn of Africa as long as the law of the jungle
prevails. It also means that whether out of lack of experience or
sheer vindictiveness (which itself is a sign of political
immaturity), a final and binding decision arrived at by an
internationally constituted body of august legal experts is being
prevented from being implemented by lower functionaries at the State
Department of the United States. Unfortunately, for those of us who
are in a position to do so, this provides an unwelcome opportunity to
expose the unjustness of it all to our colleagues, co-workers and our
classmates.

Yacob Fisseha