[dehai-news] THE EEBC DECISION TEN YEARS LATER AND ETHIOPIA'S ILLEGAL OCCUPATION: The elusive peace - 10 years after the verdict

From: he Action Group for Eritrea <fwd_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:06:44 -0400

THE EEBC DECISION TEN YEARS LATER AND ETHIOPIA'S ILLEGAL OCCUPATION:

THE ELUSIVE PEACE - 10 YEARS AFTER THE VERDICT

By The Action Group for Eritrea

Ten years have elapsed since the decision of the Boundary Commission
was announced on the 13th of April 2002. Many thought that the day
would usher a new era of peace and stability in the region. It did
not take long for the euphoria that followed the decision to turn
into disbelief, bewilderment and gradually, anger and frustration.
None anticipated in this modern world that the rule of law would be
trampled upon with impunity and that those who are meant to keep
world order would be complicit in the disorder.

When both countries announced that they would unconditionally accept
the decision, many shed tears of joy and looked forward to a bright
future where the two fraternal people stop pointing guns at each
other and start working together for mutual benefit. The experience
of previous years of war had amply demonstrated that there is more to
be gained from peace than from war.

There was no question that Eritreans would accept that decision and
move on no matter what the outcome of the arbitration was. People
were ready to let bygones be bygones. Little did we know that 10
years on, peace would be as elusive as ever.

What followed after the decision of the Boundary Commission is hard
to believe. The Ethiopian government initially accepted it
unconditionally and called for Eritrea to do the same. It bragged
about its "successful litigation strategy that was hinged on a
maximalist approach" and declared legal victory. When it became clear
that Badme was awarded to Eritrea, the Ethiopian government changed
its mind and rejected the ruling calling it "illegal, unjust and
irresponsible". It then demanded that a new mechanism to be set in
motion in place of the Commission. Soon after, it announced that it
only accepted 85% of the decision and demanded that the remaining 15%
be resolved through dialogue. The Ethiopian Government was helped by
its backers to come up with a 'five-point peace plan' that accepted
the decision in principle. Then followed an 'unconditional'
acceptance that put dialogue as a 'pre-condition'. When the
opportunity arose for Ethiopia to take part in a meeting arranged by
the Boundary Commission,it declined the offer. Time and again, it
refused to be bound by the agreement and decision of the Boundary
Commission by putting obstacles at every juncture.

10 years after the EEBC delivered its decision, the Eritrean
Ethiopian border remains physically undemarcated and peace remains to
be elusive purely because Ethiopia's non-compliance and intransigence
is tolerated by the international community. What is worse is that
some powers, for their own geo-political reasons, worked their level
best to ensure that peace never prevailed in the area. Certain powers
in the UN Security Council actively encouraged and supported
Ethiopia's illegal contempt for the basic principles of the rule of
law and the UN charter. This has become more and more apparent in
recent years. Despite its intransigence, Ethiopia continues to
receive substantial development assistance.

The guarantors of the Algiers Agreement which includes the United
Nations, the African Union, the European Union, and the United States
of America are duty bound to ensure that the agreement is honoured by
both parties and the agreement bestows them the power to take
measures against the party that violates the agreement. The
obligation of the guarantors is spelled out explicitly, but to date,
they have decided to turn a blind eye in the face of blatant
violation of international law. The unjustifiable tolerance will no
doubt encourage the Ethiopian Government to pursue its policy of
belligerence with impunity and if this is allowed to continue, the
consequence for present and future generations will be too grave to
ontemplate.

Peace and stability can never be realised through injustice and
intimidation.

The UN Security Council has failed Eritrea time and again. Eritrea
was federated by the UN in early 1950s against the wishes of
Eritreans. That decision led to 30 years of devastating war. The UN
again failed Eritrea by tolerating Ethiopia's aggression and
intransigence. What is even ironic and unforgivable is that the UN
imposed sanctions on Eritrea based on fabricated evidence and
unsubstantiated allegations. Eritrea is prevented from buying arms to
defend itself, while Ethiopia is not only provided with a financial
means to purchase arms, but is also tolerated when it launched
unprovoked attack deep inside Eritrean territory. The UN is again
planting another seed that may result in further instability for
generations to come. It is regrettable that the very organisation
that is meant to promote peace and stability in the world is engaged
in creating and perpetuating instability. The UN Security Council has
not been able to uphold the sanctity of its own charter and has
become a tool for certain powers to advance their own selfish and
destructive agenda. It has allowed the rule of the jungle to prevail
in today's world.

The Ethiopian Government may prolong the settlement of the dispute,
but it knows well that the only lasting solution can only be realised
through the acceptance and implementation of the decision of the
Boundary Commission. No present or future Government of Eritrea has
the right to tamper with a final and binding legal decision.
Ultimately, the only way that lasting peace can be ensured between
the two countries is a full and complete demarcation of their common
border in accordance with the decision of the Boundary Commission.
There is just no shortcut or any other way.

In all these 10 long years, the Eritrean people's resolve to resist
injustices has not diminished in the slightest. The UN and the
guarantors of the Algiers Agreement have received tens of thousands
of letters of protest from Eritreans and peace loving people around
the world. Hundreds of demonstrations have been held in cities around
the world. As a continuation of the fight against injustice, many are
holding rallies in this month of April to call on the UN Security
Council to shoulder its responsibility and force the Ethiopian
government to respect the decision of the Boundary Commission and
allow the demarcation of the border. The territorial integrity of
Eritrea must be respected.

The UN Security Council should also pave the way for creating a
stable environment in the region by lifting the unfair and unjust
sanctions imposed against Eritrea.

The Action Group for Eritrea