[dehai-news] THE EEBC DECISION TEN YEARS LATER AND ETHIOPIA'S ILLEGAL OCCUPATION: Letter to Hilary Rodham Clinton

From: Hizabawi Mekete - Illinois <fwd_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:33:47 -0400

By Hizabawi Mekete Association of Eritrean American In Illinois
  04/14/2012

Secretary Hilary Rodham Clinton
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW Washington, DC 20520

Dear Madam Secretary,

In continuation of its attacks against the people of Eritrea, the
regime in Ethiopia announced on 15 March 2012 its latest military
attack and forays into sovereign Eritrean territories under the pre-
text of hunting down Ethiopian rebels. It should be recalled that in
1997, the regime used similar pretexts which it escalated into a full
blown war of aggression and invasion which cost the lives of
thousands, the displacement of millions of people and the destruction
of infrastructures and properties worth billions of dollars.

Eritrea and Ethiopia signed the Algiers Peace Agreements in December
2000 and in accordance with the Agreements, an independent Eritrea
Ethiopia Boundary Commission (EEBC) was established. The EEBC
delivered its final and binding delimitation and demarcation
decisions on 13 April 2002 and November 2007 respectively. Despite
the EEBC’s rulings, Ethiopia continues to militarily occupy sovereign
Eritrean territories, including the village of Badme, the casus belli
for the war.

As Hizbawi Mekete Association of Eritrean American In Illinois with
an interest in peace, stability and security in the Horn of Africa in
general and in Eritrea and Ethiopia in particular, we are writing to
you today to call on the US State Department and the While House to
urge Ethiopia to abide by international law and agreements it has
signed by unconditionally withdrawing from sovereign Eritrean
territories.

The US can also play a constructive role in the region by denying
Ethiopia the diplomatic, financial, military and political support
and shield it has being giving the regime in Ethiopia.
The US should also repeal the illegal, unfair and unjust Security
Council sanctions resolutions 1907 (2009) and 2023 (2011) imposed
against the State of Eritrea and its people and give peace a chance.

We trust you will look further into our grave concerns and resolve
the matter by applying a fair and just practice based on facts and
aim to find a just and balanced solution ultimately leading to a
lasting peace in the Horn of Africa.

Yours sincerely,

Hizabawi Mekete Association of Eritrean American In Illinois