[dehai-news] (Herald Sun) Melbourne Heart set on signing Golgol Mebrahtu

From: Semere Asmelash <semere22_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:21:56 +0000

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-set-on-signing-golgol-mebrahtu/story-e6frfg8x-1226353479490
Melbourne Heart set on signing Golgol Mebrahtu

by: David Davutovic
From: Herald Sun
May 13, 2012 12:00AM
FORMER Gold Coast winger Golgol Mebrahtu looms as John Aloisi's first signing before Melbourne Heart focuses its energy on pursuing two foreign stars.
The pacy winger/attacker is the versatile type Heart favours and he could slot into the left-wing position with internationals Rutger Worm and Alex Terra being released and David Williams having a poor debut season.
Mebrahtu, 21, showed potential but lacked composure in front of goals.
Born in Eritrea but raised in Sudan, Mebrahtu's family moved to Brisbane when he was 10.
He was picked up by former coach Miron Bleiberg, who saw him juggling a ball in a park.
Heart has also bid for fellow Gold Coast excitement machine Ben Halloran, although the teenager is believed to favour a move to Brisbane Roar.
Halloran is also on Melbourne Victory's wish-list.
Aloisi said Heart would soon make some A-League signings but quality foreigners were a priority.
"A couple of the real key players will be from overseas, he said yesterday.
"We're trying to bring in two good, experienced players that will help the team progress.
"Foreigners made a difference to a lot of the teams, without (Besart) Berisha and (Thomas) Broich, Brisbane might not have won the championship. Foreigners are key."
Heart is planning to enter the 2012-13 season with 21 contracted players (23 are allowed on the roster) to avoid a situation like last season where it struggled to fit short-term signings Adrian Madaschi and Paul Reid on the list.
Mebrahtu would become the 16th contracted player and with another keeper to be the 17th (Heart is awaiting an answer from Clint Bolton), it would leave four spots on the list and more than $500,000 to play with.
Aloisi said a defensive midfielder and attacker were priorities with three foreign spots available.
"Defensive midfield is the key position. We need to get a leader and someone who cannot only start play but break up play. I think we lacked that," he said.
"And an attacking player who can score, someone who can play anywhere up front or in attacking midfield."