[dehai-news] VOA: “Sometimes we facilitate without being paid” Meles

From: <amirhalay_at_aol.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:50:13 -0400 (EDT)

Ethiopia'sMeles Blames African Corruption on Foreign Investors
DATE: 05/10/12

 What is thepoison that corrupts many African leaders, no matter how honorable theirintentions when they take office? That was the question put to a panel ofthat included heads of state and government at the World Economic Forum onAfrica on Thursday.

 Itwas promoted as a conversation on Africa's leadership. Among those onstage were the leaders of Africa's two most populous nations -- Nigeria'sPresident Goodluck Jonathan and Ethiopia's Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

The conversation wasroutine until the floor was opened to questions from youth leaders. Ayoung South African woman stood up to ask the question that many had pondered,but few dared to pose.

"Good day. My name is Gobano Madnamaraso. When our leaders are young -- mostof our African leaders -- they are visionaries. They have wonderfulvisions for our continent. They are admirable. The speak good, theydo good. But something happens to them once they are seated in thosechairs of power. [APPLAUSE] My question is: We want to seeour continent change, but we are afraid of this power that corrupts even someof the best, most admirable leaders on our continent, and what is this poisonthat happens in these chairs of power and how can we prevent it? [APPLAUSE]"

But perhaps just asfrank as the question was the reply.

Ethiopian PrimeMinister Meles Zenawi pointed to greedy foreign corporations as a main driverof corruption.

Meles said, "What is thepoison that leaders face when you go to national palaces, and transforms peoplewith vision sometimes into ordinary thieves? Let's start with the totalamount of loot in Africa, and what our role as leaders in that loot[ing] is. The vast majority of the loot[ing] is done by properly organizedcompanies through all sorts of accounting gimmicks."

Mr. Meles saidAfrican leaders are forced to be facilitators for foreign companies who demandfavors in return for their investment that might means jobs for their people. "It's adifficult thing to manage because our bargaining cards are very limited. We need these companies to create jobs, in order for them to come toAfrica. The image is very negative, so the risk is artificially spiked. And if the risk is artificially spiked, the return has to be commensuratewith the risk. And so it's difficult to attract them withoutextraordinary returns."

The Ethiopian leadersaid that sometimes leaders give in to temptation. "Sometimes wefacilitate without being paid. At other times we say, 'Okay, if yourfamily's farm is being looted, why not join in?' I think that is the mostinsidious form of corruption. It affects everybody, including those whosehands are not in the till."

Another question that was less confrontational, but no lesspointed, came from young Sudanese woman who wanted an explanation for the lackof female representation among African leaders. "Hello, I amJihada Bonefice from the Khartoum hub in Sudan. It's quite wonderful tosee all you gentlemen up there. But my question is: How do youenvision the role of African women in shaping the future? And is thereany way you are trying very hard to maybe to get African women where theybelong -- right up there [on stage]? [APPLAUSE]"

Gabon's PresidentAli Bongo Ondimba answered, saying "Women are Africa's chance for successtomorrow." But panelists agreed that solutions to the continent'sleadership gender imbalance will be difficult.

Increasing the ranksof female leaders will be among topics discussed at Friday's closing forummeetings, along with China's rising prominence in Africa. ((SIGNED)) Peter Heinlein