[dehai-news] New Times, Cyclists start battle for Tour of Eritrea honours

From: Semere Asmelash <semere22_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 13:09:18 +0000

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/index.php?i=15008&a=54197
Sports
By Ostine Arinaitwe
May 30, 2012
Cyclists start battle for Tour of Eritrea honours
National cycling team has everything to prove when the first stage of this year’s Tour of Eritrea in Asmara gets underway this morning in Asmara.

Team Rwanda coach Jock Boyer has tasked his team to claim stage podium finishes that would aid the team’s chances of finishing in the top five in a race that is classified 2:2 by the International Cycling Union.

Rwanda’s charge will be spear headed by veterans Nathan Byukusenge, Abraham Ruhumuriza and Nicodem Habiyambere alongside youngsters Hadi Javier, Joseph Bizimurumreyi and Emmanuel Rudahunga.

The Tour of Eritrea has eight stages and over 15 teams that include; Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, MTN Qhubeka, Cameroon which will vie in the mountainous terrain which Boyer thinks will favour his team.

“The terrain suits us well. It is hilly and the riders are natural climbers, so we will have an edge over most teams,” said the American trainer.

Habte Weldesimon has won the event the most times (3), while Meron Russom won last year’s event. It is the first time Rwanda is taking part in the competition.

Contact email: ostine.arinaitwe[at]newtimes.co.rw