[dehai-news] Washington, DC Festival Hidden Treasure

From: Haile Abraham (haileab99@msn.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 16:27:39 EDT

Washington, DC Eritrean Festival Hidden Treasure

For most of us who enjoy being at the Eritrean Festival celebrations, it is perhaps most likely about mingling with our own people and enjoying a down-home Guyla for three relaxing days more than anything else. Of course, some us enjoy the very informative seminars by various organizations and also the public seminar by Eritrean delegates, and some us certainly enjoy the variety of Eritrean products that the vendors sell.

But to me personally, one of the most exciting action that has been taking places during the Washington, DC festival is neither on the floor of Omni Shoreham Hotel nor on stage of The Show Place Arena. The excitment, both from the prespectators and players view, has been happening in local basketball gyms. Organized by truly dedicated young Eritreans named Tesfu, Fitsum and Diliet and their friends, this sport activity is getting better and stronger every year and it is time that the Festival Organizers, parents and local Eritrean businesses pay close attention to it.

Without getting in to too much detail about the game itself, I would like to say that I witnessed several young Eritreans who not only could they ball, but also who exhibited the utmost respect and sportsman conduct to one another even during the heat of the moment. I can see that these young Eritreans, who traveled from all over the United States, are very excited to play and also be a part of the Festival sports activity. Therefore the Festival Organizing committee must increase its support and involvement to nurture more young Eritrean-Americans to get involved in the Festival celebration

One way of nurturing and thus retaining our young Eritrean-Americans in the fabrics or our society is perhaps by making these type of activities available to them, continuously.

Here is a YouTube sample of the Festival's hidden treasure... Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/HaileAb

Haile A.

http://revealyourinnerathlete.windowslive.com?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WLYIA_whichathlete_us