[dehai-news] (ST) Sudan's Pres. makes first public threat to expel UN/AU peacekeepers

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 16:52:18 EDT

Sudanese president makes first public threat to expel peacekeepers

Friday 22 August 2008 04:03. ...

August 21, 2008 (ANKARA) - The Sudanese president Omer Hassan Al-Bashir
said that he will ask the United Nations - African Union forces in
Darfur (UNAMID) to leave the country if the International Criminal Court
(ICC) issues an arrest warrant for him.

Al-Bashir told the Dubai based Al-Arabiya TV in an interview to be aired
on Friday that he will not allow UNAMID to stay if the Judges approve
the ICC's prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo charges he filed against the
Sudanese head of state in mid-July.

However he promised not to launch any military attack against these
forces.

Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts of genocide, five of crimes
against humanity and two of murder. Judges are expected to take months
to study the evidence before deciding whether to order Al-Bashir's
arrest.

Al-Bashir is the most senior Sudanese official threatening retaliation
against peacekeepers since the ICC indictment.

Last month the Sudanese presidential advisor Bona Malwal said that his
government "can't be responsible for the well-being of foreign forces in
Darfur".

"After that we may ask them to withdraw from our territory" Malwal said.

But Sudanese officials afterwards denied any such intentions should the
ICC issue the arrest warrant.

The Sudanese president also said that he is willing to fight a war if
the country's sovereignty is threatened stressing that he has no
intention of resigning.

But the head of UNAMID peacekeeping mission Rodolphe Adada downplayed
Al-Bashir's statements on ousting his forces.

"Sudan has been working to speed up the deployment of the UN-AU force,
and that the government's attitude has been one of <working with us and
helping us" Adada told the Associated Press.

This is not the first time Al-Bashir talks about expelling peacekeepers
in the war ravaged region. He issued a formal order in 2006 asking AU
forces to leave Darfur after the UN Security Council adopted resolution
1706 authorizing 26,000 UN peacekeepers against Khartoum's will.

But the Sudanese government backed down and resolution 1706 was
eventually replaced with another one a year later tailored to address
Khartoum's concerns.

Al-Bashir also told Al-Arabiya that he has no fear travelling abroad and
used his trip to Turkey as an example.

"We have broad relations, and when there is a need for an external
visit, we will make it, God willing" he said.

The Sudanese president paid an official visit to Ankara this week where
he took part in the Turkish-African summit along with other leaders. It
was his first flight abroad since the ICC indictment.

Even if an arrest warrant is issued, Turkey has no obligation to
apprehend the Sudanese head of state since they are not members of The
Hague based court.

"I received an invitation from the Turkish government. There is a
respectable government in Turkey. Turkey is also not a member of the
ICC. Therefore, there was no reason to make me hesitate to come to
Turkey" Al-Bashir told Al-Arabiya.

However Al-Bashir hinted in another interview with Reuters that he may
only visit countries which are not members of the ICC.

"We are not concerned about traveling, ourselves, we have good relations
with a number of countries that do not have relations with the ICC" he
said.

But Ayman Abdel-Aziz Salaama, professor of International Criminal law at
Cairo University told Inter Press Service earlier this month that even
travel by the Sudanese president to non-state parties may prove
difficult.

"Countries that have signed but whose parliaments haven't ratified the
convention, like Egypt and most other Arab countries, meanwhile, would
have a moral obligation not to receive him or offer him refuge" he said.

Sudan has not ratified the Rome Statute, but the UNSC triggered the
provisions under the Statute that enables it to refer situations in
non-State parties to the world court if it deems that it is a threat to
international peace and security.

(ST)