[dehai-news] (LusakaTimes) Eritrean Referees stranded, African Nations Cup qualifier game postponed

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 11:04:23 EDT

http://www.lusakatimes.com/?p=29241

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Zambia: Zambia- Comoros Postponed

CAF has rescheduled for 24 hours the Zambia versus Comoros 2012
African Cup of Nations Group C qualifying match from Saturday to
Sunday after the delayed arrival of the match officials for the
qualifier to be played at Nkoloma stadium in Lusaka.

Match commissioner Wellington Nyatanga of Zimbabwe said in a press
briefing at Football House in Lusaka today that the three Eritrean
match officials are stuck in transit in the United Arab Emirates en
route to Zambia.

“The match will not be played today (Saturday), therefore we are
trying to appeal to FAZ to make sure this game is postponed for today
and with the hope that game is played tomorrow. We have had
information that referees will be arriving tonight (Saturday),”
Nyatanga said.

Nyatanga said CAF had put three South African match officials on
standby for the game that will be played at 15:00 on Sunday at
Nkoloma.

“If not we have agreed with FAZ that they put referees on standby,
with agreement with CAF, from South Africa they are on standby now
they will be arriving on SAA Air Link at 8 O’clock tomorrow and FAZ
are trying to organize their tickets,” Nyatanga said.

“So yes, it is an extra cost, I sympathize with FAZ but however we
have no choice but we have designated officially qualified referees
and that is the current situation.

“The referees have spoken to FAZ president where they are stuck in
Dubai. They are expected tonight at 11 O’clock on KQ (Kenya Airways).”

********************

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5757390/how_countries_around_the_world_repurpose.html
Referees fail to arrive for African Nations Cup qualifier

Sat, Sep 4 07:17 PM

An African Nations Cup soccer qualifier in Zambia on Saturday had to
be postponed for 24 hours when the referees failed to arrive.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) ordered the Group C
qualifier between Zambia and the Comoros Islands in Lusaka to be
rescheduled for Sunday because the officiating team from Eritrea were
stuck in transit in Dubai.

The referees were expected to arrive near midnight on Saturday, the
match commissioner, Wellington Nyatanga of Zimbabwe, told a news
conference.

Replacement officials from South Africa were on standby to catch an
early plane from Johannesburg on Sunday if the Eritrean team did not
arrive.

Poor flight connections on the continent often mean that teams and
officials have to fly via Europe or the Middle East to get from one
African country to another.

(Writing by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Clare Fallon; To
query or comment on this story email
sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)