[dehai-news] Zersenay Tadesse: Distinguished Eritrean of The Decade

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Dec 31 2009 - 15:25:52 EST

Zersenay Tadesse: Distinguished Eritrean of The Decade

By Biniam Tekle
December 31, 2009

In a culture like ours where mass contribution is highly valued lauding
individual achievements has always been frowned upon. But the fact of the
matter is individual contributions, small and big, are the glue that hold
the fabric that keeps communities together. Within a structure of a society
there are those that excel more than others, it is an indisputable and
observable fact. Few amongst us, however, push themselves and set on a
course of human excellence that goes far beyond conventional hard work, they
push themselves to the limit. In doing so, they become beckons of hope and
aspiration as well as source of pride for their keen folks.

Eritreans are fortunate to have such individuals; notable amongst them is of
course Zersenay Tadesse. The “Eritrean Hyper-Motor” as one sports writer
referred to him Zersenay burst into the international scene in the early
2000s, quickly becoming a staple in the International long distance runners’
realm. Literally coming from nowhere he gave world renown Ethiopian and
Kenyan athletes a run for their money and more. Through the decade that has
just ended he became the athlete to respect, the one to fear!

Throughout the last eight years Zersenay kept up winning races, he made
Eritreans proud again and again. He became our shining star, our hero. He
inspired many of his peers and juniors to become the best, he managed to
awaken the hidden talents of young Eritreans. Back home, all kids wanted to
be like Zeresenay. Despite pressures from some quarters to cut and run, he
run forward carrying the trust of his country and people on his shoulders.
Ever polite and unassuming, he earned the love and respect of his people,
not only for winning races but because he always came back home.

To me Zeresenay Tadesse is Eritrean of the decade and I propose he should be
recognized as such by all!