[ESA] ESA Conference: Transportation Information

From: Tricia Redeker Hepner (redekert@msu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 18:45:50 EST

Dear Conference Participants,

Over the week-end, I got two e-mail pieces of information
that may be of help to some of you. I am forwarding the
message to you. Please note though that due to different
people having different transportation problems, some aspects
of the information may not apply to you; also, since my e-mail
address list includes only those who have expressed in one way
or another to participate in the ESA Conference, I am passing the
responsibility of informing the rest of the ESA membership to
Tricia Redeker-Hepner, as the Secretary of ESA. This also means
that if some of you get more than one mailing, you will understand
why.

 In any here is the information:

A) If some of you can be organized in groups to leave on the
         same day but return at different dates (if you so desire),
         please send an e-email message to the following and you
         will get more details--- the travel agency has representative
         both in and outside Eritrea:
                 <aaberhe@hotmail.com>.

B) Here is the second travel related message (I just received):

>More seats have now been opened up and we have seats for those
>who haven't confirmed their trips. The transit time in Europe is two
>hours only. Those who would like to pay less and would like to travel
>through Sanaa, Yemen, will only have an hour and half transit time in
>Sanaa. And then a short one hour flight into Asmara.
>
>Eventhough, the airport at Sanaa is not that impressive, Yemen airways
>provides very professional in-flight service. In some instances, the Europe
>to Sanaa flight and the Sanaa to Asmara flight might miss each other and one
>might be forced to stay overnight in Sanaa. When this happens, Yemen airways
>provides taxi ride and hotel accommodation at its own expense. Please note
>that, in such instances, all passengers, regardless of their nationality,
>would be required to leave their passports at the Sanaa airport. This has
>been causing some anxiety among many passengers, but rest assured that we
>have not seen anybody loose his passport this way.
>
>It has always been our agency's policy to book passengers on the flights that
>have the least transit time. For your information, non of our customers have
>been booked on flights that required overnight stays in Yemen. If the worst
>comes, we would book our customers on flights that might require an overnight
>stay in Europe. And quite frankly, many of our customers, especially those
>with young children, would be glad to use that opportunity to visit one
>European City at no extra charge and can also use that opportunity to visit
>family and friends.
>
>For your information, we also have spaces for those who would like to depart
>from Toronto, London, Frankfurt, Paris and Rome.
>

>Thanks for patronizing Eritrean owned and operated travel agencies.
>
>Tekie G. Meskel
>Global Discount Travel
>6475 New Hampshire Avenue
>Suite 710
>Hyattsville, MD 20783
>Tel. (301)270-6020 / 1-800-374-8732
>Fax. (301)270-5730
>email: tgmtravel@aol.com

Tricia Redeker Hepner
Ph.D. Candidate, Anthropology
Michigan State University
Secretary, Eritrean Studies Association

"Betri HaQis teQeTen ember aytseberen"
The rod of truth grows thin but does not break.
                               --Tigrinya proverb

© Copyright DEHAI-Eritrea OnLine, 1999
All rights reserved