[dehai-news] Virginia Local Elections

From: HABTEAB GABRIEL (habteabg@msn.com)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 16:58:28 EST

Virginia Local Elections

We have five days to the Election Day. Energized and inspired by Senator Obama’s Campaign, his thousands of volunteers have registered millions of new voters throughout the United States.

Eritrean Americans in the Washington Metro area and in most of the other parts of the United States have also been inspired by the Obama candidacy. They were well organized and have done remarkable work on behalf of the Obama Organization.

After carefully studying the issues and where the candidates stand, I am sure many of our community members have decided who to vote for by now.

Overwhelmed by the Obama candidacy, many are not paying enough attention with what is going on in the local elections. Since I live in Virginia I will discuss the state’s elections.

In Virginia, Mr. Mark Warner is leading his opponent, Mr. Gilmore, by about thirty points. Both were governors of Virginia and are running for the United States Senate. Mr. Warner is very well liked in the state. During his tenure as governor, Virginia was voted as best-run state. Our community can relate to the issues he raises and where he stands on them, and I do not have any doubt many Eritrean Americans will vote for him.

The other interesting candidate is Mr. Gerry Connelly. He is an outstanding chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and a very strong candidate for United States Congress in the 11th District. He is leading his opponent by over twenty points and he is the best choice. Local newspapers and the Washington Post have endorsed him and I urge all Eritrean Americans in the 11th District to strongly consider him as the next representative of their district. He has excellent foreign relations knowledge and nine years of local government experience.

Our good friend Congressman Jim Moran is also running for re-election in the 8th District. Congressman Moran has always been there for us, the little people. He isn’t afraid to speak for what is right. He has come to many of our events and he is one man we should not forget to vote for on November 4, 2008.

Congressman Tip O’Neill once said “all politics is local”.

 Mark Warner for Senate 2008 -- Welcome to MarkWarner2008.com

Gerry Connolly for U.S. Congress (VA-11)

Jim Moran: A Record of Achievement
HABTEAB GABRIEL
When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/