[dehai-news] (CCT) Bolota Asmerom finishes 10th in New York City Marathon

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2008 - 12:40:02 EST

Cal graduate places 10th in initial marathon 1 line, four columns, 33
point

By Jeff Faraudo
Staff
Article Launched: 11/02/2008 09:16:46 PM PST

Cal grad Bolota Asmerom, making his debut at the 26.2-mile distance,
placed 10th on Sunday in the 39th New York City Marathon, while Olympian
Magdalena Lewy Boulet of Oakland finished 11th in the women's race.

Asmerom, 30, worked his way up from 17th place after 10 kilometers to
grab a top-10 finish in 2 hours, 16 minutes, 37 seconds. The Berkeley
resident was the fourth American finisher in a race won by Brazil's
Marilson Gomes dos Santos in 2:08:43.

"I'm feeling good about it. ... I finished it," Asmerom said in a phone
interview. "I never felt good at any point in the race. I was just
trying to get to my water stations as quickly as possible, without
falling apart. That kind of worked out well for me."

Lewy Boulet, 35, who dropped out of the Beijing Olympics marathon at the
midway point due to a knee injury, just missed her goals of a top-10
finish and her first sub-2:30 clocking. The 1997 Cal grad ran 2:33:56,
making her the fourth American woman across the line.

Great Britain's Paula Radcliffe, ahead by just eight seconds with barely
four miles left, ran away from the pack to win the women's title in
2:23:56, nearly two minutes ahead of Russia's Ludmila Petrova. Radcliffe
became just the second woman to win three titles at New York, while
Petrova, at age 40, was the oldest finisher among the top two in 21
years.

Oregon's Kara Goucher, in her marathon debut, was third at 2:25:53, the
highest finish by an American woman since 1994.

Asmerom, who was born in Eritrea and represented his homeland in the
2000 Olympics, has dual citizenship and nearly made the U.S. Olympic
team last summer, placing fourth at the trials in the 5,000 meters.
Stressing he's still a track man, Asmerom said he's not sure if he'll do
another marathon.

"I don't know. Initially, I was like, 'I would never do that to my body
again,' " he said. "But I'm pleased."

Contact Jeff Faraudo at jeffscribe@aol.com.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_10883798?source=rss

  <http://www.nyrr.org/races/pro/8k/images/asmerom_bolota.jpg>