[dehai-news] (ST) US, France & UK "underneath my shoes" says Sudan president

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 03:09:32 EST

US, France & UK "underneath my shoes" says Sudan president

Friday 7 November 2008 05:00.

November 6, 2008 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese president Omer Hassan
Al-Bashir lashed out at Western countries and accused them of trying to
topple his regime during the last 20 years.

"We will not be broken and we will not kneel or be driven because they
will not prolong our life or reduce our term in office" Al-Bashir told a
rally in Eastern Sudan.

"Money and ruling is not in the hands of US, France & UK. They are all
underneath my shoes" he said angrily.

Al-Bashir also told his people not to worry about a pending arrest
warrant against him by the International Criminal Court (ICC).

In mid-July the ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo announced that he is
seeking an arrest warrant for Al-Bashir.

The ICC's prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts
of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of murder. In early
October ICC judges have officially started reviewing the case in a
process that could possibly drag on to next year.

"Do not worry too much about what Ocampo says. He is too weak to do
anything because his decisions are made by his masters in US, France &
UK" Al-Bashir said.

The embattled president challenged any country to confront them and
vowed to defeat them.

"Whoever wants to fight us can go ahead and lick his elbow" Al-Bashir
said.

The strong statements by Al-Bashir may signal his frustration with his
envoys failure to convince these countries to suspend the ICC move
against him. Khartoum has dispatched numerous envoys to rally world
countries behind them.

The African Union, Arab League, Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) and
Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) called for invoking Article 16
which allows the UN Security Council (UNSC) to suspend the ICC
prosecutions in any case for a period of 12 months that can be renewed
indefinitely.

But Sudan's allies in the UNSC including China did not introduce a
resolution following suggestions by the US and to a lesser extent France
that they will use their veto power to block a deferral.

(ST)

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article29181