[dehai-news] Eritrea hosts its first ever Level 1 Coaches Course in Tennis

From: michael seium (michael.seium@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2008 - 11:08:15 EST

     "Eritrea Tennis Federation will revive tennis in the country and will
run it professionally. Eritrea should not play catch up but it should be at
a par with the rest of the region." These were the words from the newly
elected President of the Federation, Daniel Yohannes during the closing
ceremony of the first ever Level 1 Coaches Course to be organized in
Eritrea. The course which started with a 2-day mini tennis course from 23-24
October attracted 34 participants including teachers from 16 schools while
the Level 1 course which was from 25 - 31 October had 19 participants.

The course, which was conducted by the ITF Development Officer for the
region, Mr Prince Madema, covered the modern ways of teaching starter tennis
players, intermediate and advanced juniors. Some of the topics covered
included: mini tennis, the role of the coach, mental training for beginners,
strategy and tactics etc. The participants were very enthusiastic and
motivated as this was the first time ever to have such an opportunity to
learn something about coaching tennis. Berekete Ghetahun one of the
participants commented, "I have been coaching tennis the way I was taught or
the way I thought it has to be taught. I have never had an opportunity like
this". He went on to say, "Whether I pass the course or fail, I am still
grateful to the ITF and Olympic Solidarity for this learning experience. I
will change my ways of coaching tennis. Most of the coaches said they
thought they knew how to coach tennis until after this course".The course
ended on Friday with the presentation of the Certificates of Attendance by
the President of the Eritrea National Olympic Committee.

In conclusion, the President of the Eritrean Tennis Federation thanked the
ITF and Olympic Solidarity for their continued support through the Coaches
Education programme. In addition, he urged the coaches to be part of this
new energized Federation since they are the backbone of the development
programme in the country.