[dehai-news] (Daily Nation, NAirobi) Islamist leader vows to punish Ethiopian troops

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2008 - 14:24:51 EST

Islamist leader vows to punish Ethiopian troops

Militants of al Shabaab train with weapons on a street in the outskirts of
Mogadishu in this file photo. Photo/REUTERS
By ABDULKADIR KHALIF, NATION Correspondent, MOGADISHUPosted Monday, November
24 2008 at 19:10

 The Islamist administration in Kismayu has vowed to pursue Ethiopian troops
after they leave the country.

The administration leader, Sheikh Abubakar Al-Zaila'i, pronounced the strong
statement at the conclusion of a seminar held for the Koran schools
(madrasa) teachers in Kismayu at the weekend.

Rarely seen in public, Sheikh Al-Zaila'i stated that the Ethiopians had
committed atrocities in Somalia and should punished for it.

"There is no logic in witnessing Ethiopians escaping with impunity," said
Sheikh Al-Zaila'i. "We are going to pursue them even if they cross back to
Ethiopia."

The clergyman emphasised that it was also unacceptable that the Ethiopian
troops destroyed many Somali towns and escape without castigation.

His remarks come at a time the Ethiopian troops supporting the Transitional
Federal Government (TFG) are preparing to leave Somalia in line with a peace
agreement signed in Djibouti between the TFG and the Djibouti-based Alliance
for the Re-liberation of Somalia.

On the same occasion, Sheikh Al-Zaila'i told the audience in Kismayu that
his administration was aware that the Kenyan government deployed forces
along the border.

"If the Kenyans cross the border, we are going to fight them," he said.

Sheikh Abubakar Al-Zaila'i said that his Islamist movement in Somalia could
not be threatened by tanks and airplanes.

"We will take the armaments away and use against them if they venture into
our land," stated Sheikh Al-Zaila'i.